ReefCleaners.org

Aquaclear 500 or CPR 12" for Minibow 7 gallons?

albertroux

Hello all,

After reading and searching through all the posts here and taking time to digest them, I am still not sure which route to go for my 7 gallon Minibow.

Here are my choices and reasons:

- Aquaclear 500 ($23)+Hagen Skimmer($7.99) attachment:

Pros: Cheap, can get the skimmer attachment, very little tweaking to transform it into a fuge, pump is inside the fuge and not in the tank, nice overflow into the tank without the big baffle out.

Cons: Tweaking it might take off the warranty?

- CPR 12" Aquafuge ($74) :

Pros: Proven design, bigger water volume, warranty

Cons: Price, Powerhead in the tank, bulky baffles, does not have a skimmer attachment like the Aquaclear to break the film surface.

So what should I do? Aquaclear 500 or CPR 12" Aquafuge? What is the best deal ? If the event where the power would go out which one of these two would handle it better?

Albert.

Albert:

I just happen to have a fuge modified AC500 with surface skimmer on my 20 gallon. While I think it is good for a 20, a 7 gallon minibow might be pushing it just a bit. The discharge of my AC500 is across the surface of the water, and there is definitely a strong current at the bottom front of my aquarium. I have even had to move a few corals that did not like the current away from that area.

I would probably go with an AC300, which can be modified to a low flow, or a CPR aquafuge.

Steve

Thanks Steve for your reply. It was pretty helpful. One question though. Have you tried to shave the impeller blades of the AQ500 a little bit or remove 2 of them? That would reduce the flow. That was what I was planning to do with it. Plus adding the skimmer extension will also reduce the flow, and adding a little "wall" within the AQ500 to deflect the flow might help too.

Now I just went to Petco to check the AQ500 (priced at $67.00! ouch), and the compartment to host the fuge seems smaller than the Aquafuge, so I think I will order the Aquafuge instead even if I really like the idea of having the skimmer attachment and the pump inside the filter.

Albert.:)

Albert:

I did not modify the blades on my impeller, as the flow is OK without it. I would be a bit wary of trimming the impeller blades though. If not done perfectly the impeller would be off balance and probably not work properly.

You can get the AC500 for half that if you buy online, but the fuge area will never be as large as the Aquafuge.

Good luck.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the tips. I actually bought an Aquafuge even if it was a more pricey route. But I really want to have a good nano-reef so be it. The funny thing is, when I started my nano-reef, I was thinking that $300 bucks would be sufficient. I am now at something like $500 and counting. :( Expensive hobby but it's all worth it!

Albert.

birdman203,

Nice minibow that you have there! :) Stunning zoos!

Thanks for the comments.

FYI,

I just received my 12" CPR Aquafuge this morning that I ordered from Ameka Aquatics. It came directly from CPR, the shipping was extremely fast (2-3 days at most). I ordered the Factory Second ($74 including shipping) and the only default mentioned on the receipt was "bubbles in the acrylic".

I inspected closely the Aquafuge and you can barely see it AT ALL. It looks absolutely PERFECT ! In addition it is going to be full of algae pretty soon, so who cares! I am really really happy with my order.

Kudos to Ameka Aquatics for the awesome deal.

Will order from them again for sure. Now I just have to find the right live sand for the refugium. Any specific recommendation? Should I simply put the live sand I have in the main tank? Main goal of the refugium is to breed pods as my population seriously went down (I am hosting my friend's mandarin goby for a few weeks, until his tank cycle, and this little bastard almost ate them all).

Albert.

Oh and before anyone jumps on me for having a mandarin goby in my Minibow 7 gallon (yes it is a crime), I am just hosting the fish for a few weeks, before he goes back into his 100 gallon tank. I had a serious explosion growth of pods so he came right on time. He has been fat and happy so far, but I don't plan to keep it.

Albert.

Onthefly,

Here is their website:

Ameka Aquatics

Look on the left column for CPR Factory Seconds, you should be able to see what they have in stock. No need to mention whatever, just fill the order in their shopping cart. It took them a day to email me and confirm my order (didn't confirm when it shipped though but I believe it is because CPR ships it so they dont have any way to tell me I suppose).

Good luck!

Albert.

PS: you may mention my post and name if you want too. Ask for the same batch of CPR Aquafuge because mine is nearly perfect.

make the sandbed deep, so you don't get a stagnant area down below. your pod population wont increase to anything noticable for a month or so though. and probably would never be enough for that mandarin, make sure your buddy takes him back.

Archived