Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hey Guys - ugf question

NewbReefer

hey guys, this is my very first post here and i've taken quite the interest in nano reefing. However, it won't be atleast another week or 2 before i start setting up, so i'm just doing my ground research right now. I plan on transforming my old 15 gallon goldfish tank into a nano.

I'm currently using an aquaclear mini and air driven UGF on the tank. i'll definately replace the air with 1 or 2 powerheads. The question is should i keep the UGF or toss it? I'm guessing that if i kept a sandbed, the powerhead would no doubt mess it up. also, what's better a sandbed or crushed coral?

Originally posted by Physh1

It does not help a reef sand bed at all....it is nothing but a problem. There is no place for a UGF setup in a reef.

ahhh, yes, but tiny's gonna futz with one anyway. just to check up on some things. muhahahaha! :P

newb,

at this point, i agree with doc and cam. don't plan on using the ugf. do use sand but you can sprinkle a little CC here and there imo. make sure you didn't use any copper meds and you should be fine.

i had to double-check first. (hand't been on their site in years)

it says it's a plenum system (basically a closed UGF, no updrafts). i've used two plenums (no probs) but only had them up for a little over a year each before teardown and re-do (restless soul). but both systems also had significant rock (relative to their size) and one had a skimmer so either case are not definitive results for or against plenums for me.

Archived