Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My first post! .. and am I going in the right direction?

English Joe

Hello!

I am delighted to have found this fine forum on the net, I was so hoping something like this existed, and it does!

I'm in the UK, and kept a marine reef tank (80UK gallons) a few years ago. I struggled, and never really got it in harmony. I left the hobby but have since yearned to have another bash at it.

So on Friday I decided to set-up a nano-reef. The idea of something smaller and a bit more manageable appeals to me, and I am just so taken with the members tanks.

So here is what I am doing, I wonder if one of you gurus could cast an eye over the plans and tell me if I am making any major glitches.

Tank is an acrylic Hagen Tropiquarium 19 US gallons, has twin Flourescent lights in hood, and a combined wet/dry and sponge fliter with heater. Its a neat set-up aimed so ease and compactness, though of course I am not leaving it there!

Have put in a large bag of "live" coral sand, sorry cant recall the make but its form the USA, and a smaller bag of non-live sand. Have ordered 22lbs of Pacific Storm live rock that should arrive tomorrow.

Also on order are a Prizm Protein Skimmer, that has a media housing and which I am adding Rowaphos to remove phosphates and Nitrate sponge granules, so hopefully with the living rock I will be able to maintain low nitrates and phosphates.

I'm replacing the standard two 18" tubes with a Triton and a "Blue Moon" actinic.

The existing filter pump is being helped by the addition of a mini-pump in the tank to give stronger water movement.

I am hoping that I have covered removal of most of the major pollutants, have I forgotten anything?

Temp is 79 and SG 1.024.

Plans are to add some of the more tolerant soft corals and a couple of Percula clowns. cleaner shrimp, and a maybe small blue-leg hermit and cleaner snails.

Well, thats the story! Pls excuse this long posting but if I am doing anything wrong now would be a good time to alert me!

All the best

Joe

While I am certainly not a guru, I can certainly offer up my "two cents worth".

IMO, a wet/dry filter could become a nuisance later on when it begins to churn out nitrates. Considering that you plan on setting up a live rock system, and you keep up on your water changes, and also have the skimmer, I don't believe the wet/dry/sponge filter would be necessary.

Also, you are going to want to upgrade your lighting. There is an entire forum dedicated to lighting, I would suggest searching around and see what others are doing with their lighting. There are many options depending on what corals you would like to eventually keep.

I just began using a carbon/phosphate absorber media (SeaGel) within the two weeks (my tank has been set up for almost two years), and I've already noticed a difference in my corals' extention. I have quite a few soft corals in my 7 gallon, and I think the carbon will cut back on the effects of their "chemical warfare". Also, I continue to have problems with a bit of hair algae, etc. and I think the phosphate absorber will be another weapon in the arsenal. Remember to change the media out regularly if you plan to run it continuously, otherwise it will begin to leach the phosphates, etc back into the tank. :x

Archived