Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

John at Advance Acrylics = Unreliable and Flaky

organism

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also read miguel's thread on reefcentral. It's getting to be a bit aggressive for my taste.

In all seriousness, when did reefcentral turn into an insane asylum? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone over there that I posted a bad experience and 90% of the posts are people astounded and jumping on me that I'd have the balls to post a factual bad experience on a poor sweet thing of a one man small business owner that would never lie to or flake over the majority of the people I know who've had the misfortune to purchase tanks from him.

I have seen the 'crazing' in 3/4 of johns tanks that are over 1.5 yrs old and that have had halides over them. when he 1st started I asked him if he was using the 'treated acrylic' that would resist halide use, his reply was 'LOL, whats that?'.....wonder if I still have the PM's regarding this....

I have seen the 'crazing' in 3/4 of johns tanks that are over 1.5 yrs old and that have had halides over them. when he 1st started I asked him if he was using the 'treated acrylic' that would resist halide use, his reply was 'LOL, whats that?'.....wonder if I still have the PM's regarding this....

whats treated acrylic?

I can understand where this guy is coming from.

I used to be in the service industry (working for myself) and I'll tell you, it gets old fast. Calling multiple times per day will probably get you what you want, but don't expect cheery responses every time.

It sounds as though he is just unorganized. If I were in his shoes, I would just charge a "priority" fee for those who need their work done and shipped within say, 10 days. And then issue a reasonable expected ship date on other orders with a note to only contact him if there are changes to the work order (and then fulfill them according to schedule of course).

Overall though, I would say this thread isn't too harsh on his reputation. If I find myself looking for a good deal on an acrylic tank someday I'll certainly look him up since quality work at a good value is more important to me than timeliness.

I just talked to him about crazing and he said he found the problem and put a seal over the acrylic so it won't happen. He is a pretty nice guy and you gotta cut him some slack, but i understand how you guys think he is unorganized.

I used to be in the service industry (working for myself) and I'll tell you, it gets old fast. Calling multiple times per day will probably get you what you want, but don't expect cheery responses every time.

It sounds as though he is just unorganized. If I were in his shoes, I would just charge a "priority" fee for those who need their work done and shipped within say, 10 days.

He is a pretty nice guy and you gotta cut him some slack, but i understand how you guys think he is unorganized.

Ok, this one's about to go the way of rc so I'm going to correct you guys before you start heading down that road, and apologize for my lack of patience with these kinds of replies since it was wasted on rc already.

ajmckay, I used to be self-employed, and never, ever lied to any customer, especially regarding their order having shipped when it hadn't. Because then they'd be waiting for their order like a tool, and I'd be a giant douche whose word wasn't worth a thing. If you want to defend him in this thread feel free to start on that point and how you would do that to your customers, because what you posted has jack to do with anything going on in this thread. Feel free to point out why he's got a huge reputation for being flaky and how ok that is because he runs his own business and is a nice guy.

Johnnydee, what part of my post didn't you read, aside from all of it? This is not about being unorganized or being a nice guy, it's not about craftsmanship, it's about LYING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, avoiding them when there's ANY issues, and having piss poor customer service. That's all it's about. Being a nice guy and unorganized while running your own business don't give you license to do a single thing that John did.

Again, I'm sorry for my tone, but having the rc bs carry over into this thread is just plain not going to happen.

I can understand where this guy is coming from.

It sounds as though he is just unorganized. If I were in his shoes, I would just charge a "priority" fee for those who need their work done and shipped within say, 10 days. And then issue a reasonable expected ship date on other orders with a note to only contact him if there are changes to the work order (and then fulfill them according to schedule of course).

Overall though, I would say this thread isn't too harsh on his reputation. If I find myself looking for a good deal on an acrylic tank someday I'll certainly look him up since quality work at a good value is more important to me than timeliness.

unfortunately, for the majority of customers, tanks are a one time thing and few people repeat or go a long while before reordering. It's kind of a one shot deal for both parties.

I just talked to him about crazing and he said he found the problem and put a seal over the acrylic so it won't happen. He is a pretty nice guy and you gotta cut him some slack, but i understand how you guys think he is unorganized.

I agree. Theres a duplicate thread on rc and there are far more positive experiences than unfavorable ones. I would still recommend Advance Acrylics but Miguel brings up a valid point about Advance's customer service.

I think a reasonable seller (one who takes money up front at that) who has a history of being a flake and KNOWS it (if he didn't know it, why dodge email and phone calls?) would have the sense to say "no", or at the very least not ask for payment until he has started to manufacture.

In any event, thanks for this thread. It made me search out other options and I found cdelicath's stuff.

Sorry but I have to call BS on this statement of sealing acrylic. If he would just use cell cast acrylic the problem would be solved. It cost a bit more in the long run, but customers who are looking into acrylic products know that its expensive. Whats $15 more per average tank?

We produce the finest grade acrylic aquarium products, using only domestic cell cast acrylic. Tanks, sumps, reactors, or just about anything else you can dream up, we can make it. If you have a project in mind, please call us for a quote. You will be surprised at how affordable your dream aquarium can be. Turnaround time for most projects is one week, so give us a call today!

sure...

Sorry but I have to call BS on this statement of sealing acrylic. If he would just use cell cast acrylic the problem would be solved. It cost a bit more in the long run, but customers who are looking into acrylic products know that its expensive. Whats $15 more per average tank?

This argument is getting kind of crazy. To me, it seems like a year or two ago, maybe Advance Acrylics was just learning the ropes of building Acrylic tanks ... but now, it seems like the only valid complaint people have is about the turn around time of a new tank, which is likely related to this gentleman's workload.

To whoever claims that he is using IMPORTED acrylic, or acrylic that is of lesser quality, look at this:

eBay Item #190337331356

He sells sheets of Domest Cast Acrylic in his eBay Store!

Wouldn't you think he uses the same acrylic to build his tanks that he sells as raw sheets? C'mon now.

I can say this. May be so about being inundated with work. Thats good for him. So would honesty. Okay so he sells cell cast. Still cant prove that he is using it. The ONLY thing that causes acrylic to craze is it being extruded. Oh and you can not seal acrylic to stop it from doing so. I have asked fellow acrylic artisans as well as my supplier. Even if one was to use the newer poly coated extruded the seams and cut edges are still exposed.

Selling and using is a good question. So ask those who have cracking tanks if they are bigger than 24" in any size. Then your point of using what he is selling could be nulled out. I know that I purchase all acrylic in 4' x 8' or 5' x 10' sheets. B/C I am sure that he is either drop shipping those sheets or just ordering the most common size.

Hopefully I am wrong. Have been many times in the past and sure to be in the future.

why do people even like acrylic? i can see its use for uses inside the tank, for racks and what not...but why not just use sturdier less scratch prone, can keep a wider variety of inhabitants glass? i get that it is lighter, but how many people carry their tanks around with them? lift it once and your done with it, so why the trouble to spend extra on acrylic?

why do people even like acrylic? i can see its use for uses inside the tank, for racks and what not...but why not just uses sturdier less scratch prone, can keep a wider variety of inhabitants glass? i get that it is lighter, but how many people carry their tanks around with them? lift it once and your done with it, so why the trouble to spend extra on acrylic?

I couldnt have said it any better.

I agree with you 100% John. ;)

justkidding86
why do people even like acrylic? i can see its use for uses inside the tank, for racks and what not...but why not just uses sturdier less scratch prone, can keep a wider variety of inhabitants glass? i get that it is lighter, but how many people carry their tanks around with them? lift it once and your done with it, so why the trouble to spend extra on acrylic?

Acrylic is clear unlike normal glass tanks that have that greenish tint. Unless you have that sexy low iron glass which is almost as clear as acrylic.

maybe my eyes aren't that great, but i have never seen any difference

same. heck, my new tank is 1/2" thick, and even empty I couldn't detect but the faintest hint of green.

now, if my new tank were acrylic, it would have so many scratches I would be wishing it were green. :rolleyes:

justkidding86
maybe my eyes aren't that great, but i have never seen any difference

Sometimes I wish I didn't have these bionic eyes. Stupid military and their secret experiments.....oops :P

Archived