ReefCleaners.org

Good Test Kits?

trupel

What test kit do you use?

I have this test kit that is not very good (ie the test results are not very accurate)

Would like to know what other reefers user

I have the SERA aqua-test-box marine with tests for PH, KH, NH4, NH3, NO2, NO3,PO4,CU,CA and all the accessories you need to take quality water measuremets... in my opinion a pretty accurate and easy to use kit (plus I got the whole thing new on ebay for $40)... HTH

Salifert, LaMotte, and Tetra are all good tests. I use Tetra for the basic pH, alk, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and I use Salifert for calcium, magnesium. I also have their alk test.

Cameron

With the Amonia Test, what should I expect?

The current one I use has a liquid and a powder component. I need to drip 4 drops and put 1 scoop (The instuctions does not mention what the scoop size was :() into 5mL of water. I am not very confident of the result as I am cycling my tank and it has already been 6 days and the cycle does not seem to have started yet (mind you, I am not using any LR but just some commercially prepared bacteria).

Jon,

I have, the LFS recommended me to put some fish food(the balls of food that floats) in the tank. I did, but after waiting 6 days the cycle has yet to start!

I actually went out yesterday night to get some LR (1kg, 2 pound I think worth) because of this forum. I am beginning the doubt the information that I was given by my LFS.

I did notice yesterday that once I put the live rock in there was a crab in there... How exciting! hehe

Archived