ReefCleaners.org

fire hazard - protecting supernova retro from water

huari

hello,

I snagged a Supernova at my lfs and want to start a nano using a mini-bow or convert my FW planted Eclipse 12.

My only misgiving is the idea of water splash to the retrofit. Actually it's my gf's misgiving. I need to assuage her fears to allow me to reef. I've seen pics of a burned, crispy eclipse 12 done with a retrofit and wanted to know if there is a way to protect the supernova retro from water splash. I was thinking of just using a cut piece of acrylic.

or

Does the minibow have glass from the old fixture that would protect the retrofit from water? or should I try to sell the supernova for a complete hood like a coralife?

thanks,

Tony

Don't the eclipse 12's have an acrylic cover over the stock fixture? If so, the supernova should fit inside of that. You may have to trim the reflector, but that should be all.

Also, make sure you have a GFCI outlet or extension cord to prevent the possibility of shorting out (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter)

The CSL supernova has a waterproof endcap that protects the end of the bulb from coming into contact with moisture. I ran my Eclipse 6 gallon for 7 months with the supernova with no barrier between the bulb and water. Just needed to wipe the salt creep from the bulb once a week as routine maintenece. If you go with the minibow it does have an acrylic shield that protects the bulb from water. Some people take that out of thier hood tho. I left mine in place.

Thanks! for all of the advice. I'm going to get a GFCI adaptor and I think i'm going to forego retro fitting the Eclipse 12 and buy a minibow 7G. there seems to be so many success stories with a minibow 7G, AC HOB, and the 32W retrofit or Supernova.

Archived