Cultivated Reef

Buying Livestock Online

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Where I live (in Canada) livestock, especially inverts are hard to find and extreamly expensive. I was looking into an anemone, and at my preferred dealer it was $70! I dont know if that is normal, but everything is cheaper online. Has anyone online ordered livestock online? Is it a good idea? I have this fear that I will order something and it will arrive at my door dead.

Thanks Guys

P.S - That same anemone is $10 online... d*mn

my location

(Edited by LudavicoTechnique at 1:18 pm on June 26, 2002)

most suppliers have a return policy on livestock that died in shipping.  Some will just give you credit, others will want the dead specimen, along with a water sample, before crediting your account or giving you a store credit (the more common solution).  I have had all kinds of experiences ordering online, from excelllent to horrific.  Of the many that I have ordered from,  IPSF.com, Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Flying Fish Express (love their see it before you buy it section for coral frags) have been nothing but pleasure.  Any problems with shipments have been handled professionally and without grief.  

taking the price of the stuff at your LFS, it would be better if you order online and have it rush delivery since it would probably come cheaper. but be advised that if you can drive to another LFS, even if its an hr or something. its always better if you can see what you are buying.

As long as you order from a retailer with a good reputation, you should be fine.  Read all the fine print on their website for "arrive alive" guarantees, etc.  They'll usually cover a reasonable amount of shipping related mortaility.

FWIW, I've used Premium Aquatics, IPSF, and Gulf-View so far (4 orders total), and have had no problems at all.  It's worthwhile to me since I can't get good livestock within 100 miles of my locale.

Archived