SaltCritters.com

10g Checklist (need help)

new2reefs

hey guys/girls, for a long time i wanted to start my own 60 gallon tank but due to the space and amount of money its out of the question. After months of research i finally decided to start a 10g nano reef and wanted to ask if i have the right equipment forthe job.

I have:

10 gallon all glass tank, glass hood, power compact 28 watt light (50/50, just picked up today), heater (rated for 20 gallon tank), penquin powerhead, aquaclear 150, and air pumps

Im planning on buying about half regular rock and half live rock from local petstore, and live argonite from the bad (forgot exact brand). I am not able to afford much more then this and cant afford much more equipment either. I would like to know if it is possible to make a working nano reef, and what kind of animals you can put in it ( im planning on going mostly coral, and maybe 1 or 2 fish).

28 watts of light is low but that just means you are going to have to be very selective when purchasing corals. dude ditch the air pump, if you can attempt to get more light, more is always better-

yes of course its possible do more searches for water quality maintanence , and livestock. The more you read, the better you will be at caring for your animals. Then you can ask specific questions like, " Will this mushroom polyp live under such and such lighting? " or " What is a good place to get such and such."

HTH and welcome to Nano reef.com

One more thing, i know you are budget conscious, so buying 9 books (my current total) is out of the question. but head to a mail order site, get a list of books, and see if the local library has them ( im gonna start a new acronym LL = Local Library) :P

With 28 watts you won't be able to keep much more than mushrooms and a few softies. I would get the tank cycled with what you have and start looking for a lighting upgrade. You can get a 96 watt Coralife PC quad for under $100.00. I would save up for that. You'll be able to keep a much wider range of corals and not be limited by your lighting.

Archived