Pod Your Reef

Still unidentified

caja

I posted a pic of this guy about 4 months ago and got no response. Haven't seen it in a while but it's been out and about again for the past few days. Mainly on the glass, but this morning i saw it half buried in the sand near the front of the minibow.

It's grown about 1/8" since i first saw it months ago. I'm stumped with this one. It's the orange foot that I can't seem to figure out.

First pic is top shot.

A bit more info. It's about 1/4" and mainly nocturnal. It tends to hide in crevices in the LR during the day.

Turned it over for a shot of it's foot. Blurry pic, sorry.

theres a local fish sop here in Akron that has 2 snails with red bodies and feet like that. Ill have to get the name when i visit there for ro/di at the end of this week. Theres only one problem with these snails though caja....they weigh about 4 pounds a peice....they are freakin huge. All i can remeber about them is that theyre red though....... might even be an entirely different shell than whats in your pic........ but ill have a look see and let ya know anyways.

Dickie., one chunk is from the dinky little LFS near me (not labeled other than LR), two others are fiji. Not sure which rock he crawled out of.

Thanks for the help, I'll do some more searching today and see what I can come up with.

Whelk. Probably Dog Whelk, or something like that. Maybe a Purpur or something like that.

Most are herbivores, but some are mollusk-eaters.

Good places to look are shell-catalogue pages (beloning, generally, to shell collectors).

-Sumbel

Archived