Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! coral Banded Shrimp Dead?

nanonewbies

I went to work this morning and everything was fine, now I come home and my coral banded shrimp is laying on its side in the sand - and it hasn't moved for 20 minutes, I saw a hermit crab near by and it looked as though it was attacking it? Seemed unlikely..maybe it was cleaning it? Do they do that? Do Shrimp sit still for that? Most importantly if it is dead - is it really important that I get it out, or should I let it dissolve into the environment? I am new to all this so any help, advice, ideas, suggestions, would be appreciated!

On a positive note - everything else in the tank seems fine - in fact some of my corals seemed to have doubled in size, that may not have anything to do with the shrimp though?

Thanks!:blush:

If it is a molt ,It is very pale and thin. I have only thought it was the shrimp dead, the first time, for about 3 secods. Yuo should be able to see his antannae. Feed the tank, see if he comes out.

So is there any dead give away so I can know for sure? It does look pale and thin, however, everything is still there, its antennae, pinchers, legs, etc. So I am just having a really hard time telling if it is a molt or just dead.

you cant see if the CBS is in there. try to pick it up dOOd. if it moves its alive. if it doesnt its dead. if its paper thin its a molt. Cmon, when you get to go into Hands on mode, it is half the fun of reefing! :P

Since when did you corals double in size? In the last day? And as far as the shrimp goes, if you pick it up and it doesnt move, it doesnt really matter weather its a molt or dead . . not worth leaving in there. If it is dead and you let it decay in there you're just asking for problems.

How long have you had those corals in there and what type are they? Tank specs?

d.

ok I yanked it out last night - felt pretty thick and fleshy in there still....probably dead I think. I wonder why.

I have the JBJ Nano Cube (12 g.) is that what you mean by specs?

My corals (mainly mushrooms) are so tiny as it is - when they grow at all they look huge to me, I was exaggerating when I said they doubled but they sure did grow a lot over night! (example, I had one mushroom about the size of a dime has grown bigger than the size of a nickel in less than 2 days...I have no idea if that is normal...

I actually have no idea what I am doing - but I am trying to learn! LOL

Sorry I know I am one of those new people that is going to frustrate some of the more experienced. The run down about this tank, my boyfriend came home with it from the LFS one day, without telling me, he had someone who is very experienced set it up for us. It had been in the LFS set up as a display model for about a month, that had some undeveloped live rock and some very developed live rock which I am assuming came from other tanks in their store..., a cleaning crew, a blenny, a royal gramma, a coral banded shrimp (which I think bit the dust), a bunch of mushrooms, a soft coral that looks like it is a piece of purple broccoli (which right now looks like it is smoking? maybe just letting off some waste??), a leather, a xenia that isn't doing too good, and a few others, and new ones are sprouting every day from various places on the rock. I'm a little frustrated myself that I was thrown into this without any experience. However, I am in love with it now and want to do the best that I can to make everything happy and healthy in the tank that I can...

So anyway he bought the whole thing - just the way it sat. We have a heater for it - it is set to 78 - 79 degrees, there is a filtration system in the tank, however once a week we will be changing out a third of the water (this is what we were told to do). The salinity is a little high right now at 1.023, unfortunately I am sorry I don't have the proper equipment yet to test the pH, nitrite or nitrate levels, or ammonia....what do I need to do these tests. I add chemicals everyday - 1 drop of Liquid Calcium, 1 ml of Iodine, and 1 ml of Strontiem & Molybdenum (Kent Marine brand), I feed once every other day (frozen brine shrimp). I have had this tank since Friday..I'm doing the best I can, since this jump started tank was basically thrown into my lap. I am open for any ideas, advice, suggestions, tips, help, lectures, beatings, or ass-chewings! LOL

1.023 is fine for you salt gravity. The mushrooms didnt 'grow' over night. They expand during you light period and contract at night (as do many corals). Mine can shrivel as small as a pea at night and expand to a good couple inches across during the day.

In my opinion a third of the water once a week is a little much. I change about 1.5 gallons from my 10 gallon once a week and that seems to keep all the levels in check - different people have different water change schedules, this one has worked for me. Also, don't go adding supplements (ie iodine, calcium etc) without also having the corresponding test kit to make sure you're not going overboard with them.

On a last note, how did you bring the tank home? Was everything bagged and you put it back in and added water? Where did the water come from? The whole set-up of it was obviously rushed but you might as well see what you can save while its alive - and if its looking like its not doing well, take the coral/fish/wierd thing growing on your rock back to the fish store and they'll probably give you a credit for it so you can replace it when your tank has been properly set up.

he had someone who is very experienced set it up for us

This person says they're experienced . . makes me wonder why they chose this way of setting up the tank - impulse-buys work with some things - but definitely not a complete reef tank.

d.

I agree with you about the impulse buy - but I had no control over it. Not the way I would have done things but now that I have it...we'll see.

I realize that the mushrooms shrivel at night when the lights are off - but these have definately gotten bigger in size over the fews days I have watched them (and I really watch them!) LOL

They apparently brought everything home in buckets! I wasn't here when they set it up, but it has everything that it had when it was at the store, stock, live rock, live sand, etc. The guy who set it up - has had (successfully) a 75 gallon tank. He knows what he is doing for the most part. I think the impulse part was coming from my boyfriend who never seems to have patience for anything! LOL (I love that about him!) - plus he said it was a really good deal (not that that is a good reason in this situation!) LOL

I will make sure I get a test kit soon for my water, the people at the LFS told us how much of the supplements to add, I figure they would know since they were taking care of this tank before us...but I do need the test kits!

Do you think changing 2 gallons every week would be better for my 12g.? and (probably a stupid question) but do I just add distilled water from a jug or do I add salt or actual salt water? what kind is good? Does it have to be a certain temperature before I add it?

Again I am willing to take any advise as I am fascinated with my instant mini world - I want to protect it.

Thanks!

For water changes use water mixed with salt-mix (from your local fish store) and for evaporation top-ups use fresh (RO or DI) water. Temperature and salinity should be as close to temp/salinity of your tank before adding it to prevent shock to your livestock.

d.

That local fish store ota be shot!!!! I just gotta ask, how much did they get you for your setup? Obvioulsly, you don't have to answer, I probably wouldn't, but after they took your money, did they ever look back? You'd think they would. Heck, you'd think they would realize the potential of the many future sales. YOu know, considering the level of service they are providing you, screw them, most online suppliers would do a better job of helping than these guys have. Try Marine Depot, they sell everything for nearly 1/2 the money of my LFS's around here. But, Inland Aquatics and Premium Aquatics do a super job too. Most of all, buy books and read fast, real fast, before you get frustrated, when things really go to heck (and it will happen). But good luck and don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Randy

• 16 years later...

Hi guys,

I purchased my banded shrimp two days ago. Yesterday, it molted, but as of this morning, it has not moved. It was hanging upside down first, Evan after molting, but today, it’s just sitting on a rock’s surface. I wanna say it’s alive, but I also think it might be dead. The old exo- skeleton is in the tank (as I read that it’s beneficial to their growth, and I haven’t moved it, yet)

please advise. Thanks