inTank Media Baskets

New JBJ Nano

Aquariareview

Aquariareview

This is the new nano cube in my office.

I have had great luck with the JBJ Nano. it needs little mod for most coral.

9.7 gal

10lbs of semi cured live rock

1 inch of live sand from my big reef tank

I took out all of the foam and junk in the filter chambers.

I placed one bag each of Chemi-Pure* charcoal resin blend, Sea-Chem Purigen* and 1 sheet of polyfilter in the chamber with the pump.

I do a 2 gal a week water change. but during the break in period I did 5 gal a week change

nano.jpg

Day 1

I hung a prizm skimmer on the front glass to help the rock cure a little quicker.

2weeks.jpg

Day 10

I added:

An unknown red Macroalgae.

1 more inch of live sand

3 red leg hermits

3weeks.jpg

Day 17

Took off the skimmer

I added:

A Firefish

2 Shaving Brush Plants (Penicillus sp.)

I took a couple of small pieces of rock to put in my reef and get some Zoos moved onto.

skimmermod.jpg

I made a 8 inch wide cut in the back of the hood so I could hang a sea clear 100 skimmer.

5weeks.jpg

5 Weeks

8weeks.jpg

8 Weeks

I added some Zoos, Star Polyps, pulsing Xenia, Feather Duster And a Hairy Mushroom. I removed the firefish and put in a watchman and a pistol shrimp.

4months.jpg

4 Months

6%20month.jpg

6 Months

I have added a blastamosa, a few mushrooms and a small monti frag (a test). also added a algea blenny that keeps the rock very clean.

All Is well. this has turned out to be a showy little tank.

My kudos to JBJ for making this little tank available.

*Chemi-Pure, A Carbon- Resin blend. The resin produces negatively charged ions, while removing excess acids and ammonia. The carbon is designed to absorb contaminants up to 50% of its total weight. In a tank this small it will remain active for 4-6 months. about $6 LFS.

Poly-Filter is a chem filter pad that does a pretty good job at phosphate and heavy metals removal.

Sea-Chem Purigen is a macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes proteins, nitrite and nitrate, ammonia and a broad spectrum of organics at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. It significantly raises redox and polishes water clarity. About $6

Purigen can be regenerated by soaking in a bleach overnight.

YOur tank looks real nice. Are oyu using all natural filtration? I am currently using natural filtration. I plan to add zoos and polyps, a torch coral, maybe a small leather. I have the JBJ just like you, its perfect for rock stacking, especially for a 10 gallon tank.

Hello,

Your tank looks great! I just started my nanocube- bought it from House of Tropicals in MD.. They must have had over 100 of these tanks to sell, and they have a nice one on display on their store counter with a baby hippo tang and an false percula..

Not to sound like a moron here, but won't that macroalgae be hard to control? I had some in my 3 gallon eclipse nano tank, and it took over! I didn't research it enough because until I saw the picture of your I didn't know what it was.. My blue-legged hermits didn't eat it, that's for sure..

Also, what would you estimate the pounds of aragonite are in your tank now to get the same amount that you have? I bought 20 lbs of live sand in the bag ("Nature's Ocean") that I've had good luck with in my previous Nano.. Plus, I am gonna start out running the filter compartment stock. What made you want to use different media back there? Better filtration with your setup? Also, the plants are interesting.. I have no experience with saltwater plants- will they consume some of the Nitrate, making a more "closed" system? SOrry about all the questions, and once again, your tank looks fantastic!

Jason

Originally posted by Aquariareview

I took out all of the foam and junk in the filter chambers.

I placed one bag each of Chemi-Pure, sea-chem Purigen and HyperSorb in the chamber with the pump. I also placed an eclipse 12 filter upright in the mid chamber. It fits top to bottom just right if you score the sides about 1/2 inch in on each and bend them 90 degree. Makes a nice seal and takes all small particles out.  

I plan to do a 2 gal a week water change. but during the break in period I am doing a 5 gal a week change

10 lbs of LR. That one piece looks like it weighs 9.85 lbs! I ended up busting my large pieces of LR into more manageable pieces. Overall it's looking good! Keep posting updated pics.

Neat! I'll have to see where I can get some of the Chemi-Pure, Sea-Chem and HyperSorb.. I wasn't feeling very good about the stock bio-balls anyway! :)

Where is your heater? How well does your tank stay on temperature?? With my tank, I mounted a 50w submersible heater in the chamber with the powerhead pump at the bottom- hopefully there is good flow past the heater here, but I am unsure with all of those side vents in the dividers. Tonight I am leaving the stock lights on all night to see how much (if any) the temp goes up..

Jason

Yeah, I think with the stock lighting that temperature will not be a problem.. So far I've got nothing but water in mine, as I am in the process of establishing a constant temperature with my heater setup.. (I think that I am possibly the only person anal-retentive enough to do this? :) ) So far, with the light on for 12+ hours, the temperature creeped up less than 1/2 a degree F..

I'll be adding salt tonight, ensuring the salinity is correct after a few hours of tank running, then I'll probably put the livesand in tomorrow..

Jason

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey dickie... haven't been on the boards much, but for good reason. In September I set up a 65 gallon with 20 gallon prop tank in the apartment, and all of my free time has been taken up. The nano's still going strong. I'll give an update and post pics of the new 65 soon here at NR. I always respond to PMs and have been lurking, just not posting much.

Nathan, sorry for the 'jack ;)

Aquariareview

Check the first post for the skimmer mod picture

The Plants Do take a lot of Nitrate from the water I have a large refuge on my 220 gal reef and it is full of macro algae. They will strip phosphates and a lot of other nutrition from the water. How ever all of the macros that I have in the system are non attaching species. so they are easy to keep under control.

Chemi-Pure, Sea-Chem Purigen and Poly-Filter in the filter (see first post)

These products combined with the plants give you a much more forgiving system.

After cutting a vent for the skimmer the temp dropped so much the I have needed to add a small heater.

Johnny I need some advice

I want to have some coral in this tank and I am stumped as to to what. I am a big tank guy with coral pieces as big as my head in my main tank. I want to have some stuff that is pretty and not to hard to care for in a mid light level tank.

For hardware on this system I have:

sea clone skimmer

powerhead for water movement.

28 watt 50/50 PC

Tank is only 10 deep and most of the rock surface is 4 - 6 below the light.

I welcome your suggestions..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI your tank inspired me to start mine up as I saw it on BARS and on nanoreef a long time ago and it made me want to get a fir fish so bad keep up the good work!!!!!

Archived