Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Oodinium - Any Reef/invert Safe Meds?

Catspa

Ok, based on peoples reponse to one of my other posts i think i may have Oodinium in one of my tanks. Good news is there is only one fish in the tank (no inverts or coral) hence i'm treating it with copper based meds - and it appears to be going well.

The problem, i may have inadvertantly exposed my main tank to the paracite. I introduced an infected fish into the main tank, and he was there for an hour or two, before i removed him.

Sooo, based on what i've read, and what i've experienced, by the time you actually notice symptoms, its to late, and the fish dies the next day. So, i'm worried. I can wait and see what happens in my main tank, but that will mean fish will die for sure if it is present OR i can try to treat the tank now, and save the fish..

Based on what i've read about the paracite, and given the fact that I have probable (80%) inadvertantly introduced it into my main tank, i think i should be proactive in this situation. (it killed 3 other fish in my other tank)

SO anyone have any exp irradicating this particular paracite in tank that has coral and inverts? Any suggestions?

any and all info appreciated :)

If that is what it is there seems to not be much that can be done.

If it's any comfort I had a clown that I thought might have died of oodinium. He was a new fish that went from being fine in the pet store to dead in my tank in less than 24 hrs. I waited two weeks and introduced Newman into the tank and he's been fine for 2 1/2 months. Fish diseases are very hard to diagnose.

I have experiance with odinium. odinium is a single celled paracyte that has 4 life stages including larva, water born and feeding(when its on the fish). The life cycle is about 4 weeks long.

The best way to remove the paracyte is to kill it in its free swimming stage by passing the tank water through a UV sterolizer which kills the paracyte soon as its exposed the the UV light. The sterolizer needs to be connect to the tank for atleast 4 weeks, 5 weeks is better to insure the paracyte is dead.

I wouldn't add anything to your reef tank at this point. You will know within another day if the fish have caught this parasite. If you notice any fish gilling rapidly then you will have to do something.

Even though you added the firefish into your tank you took it out pretty quickly too.

Tough to do, but I would just wait it out.....

ok thanks for the info people :)

I'm going to wait it out for the time being, and will start saving up for a UV sterilizer, was going to make one, but its to much of a hasel. Can't believe how expensive this hoby is.. it would be cheaper to have bought a horse of somethin. :(

the best treatment (not cure) for any afflicted fish is to do your utmost NOT to cause it any stress. This is particularly the case if you aren't sure what the affliction is. things like FW dips often stress the fish out and Don't fix the problem. Also the more stable you can keep the fish, the more time you may have bought for diagnosis/treatment. At the least you eased the suffering.

ya well, its not like they suffer for very long, from sysmptoms to death is usually around 12-24 hourse only... :(

But on the flip side, my firefish is still alive in the tank, and as always, is doing fine. I've been treating with cupermine for a week now. In another week i'm going to introduce a damsel into the tank and see how it does..

Archived