Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 Part Calc/alk question

BChen7106

Hey all,

So I had been using Kent Marine 2 part calcium and alkalinity supplements for a while until I recently changed to Bulk Reef Supply's mix it yourself 2 part.

I've noticed that now when I add my alklinity, there are little specks of whiteness that form amidst the cloudiness. They eventually spread throughout the tank, but I can't really tell if they dissolve or if they just settle.

Anyone notice this too?

Anyone know if this is a bad thing? ie is it going to waste?

skimlessinseattle

Try warming your alkalinity solution up. By heating it, you can increase the solubility of the solution. This may solve your problem. You could use a big mixing bowl filled with very warm water (hot shower temp) and put your dosing/mixing bottle in it. Change the water every 20 minutes for an hour and shake for a minute or two every time you change the water. Good luck!

you need to mix you solution better. ;)

The solution is completely mixed and dissolved before it hits the aquarium.

in terms of warming it, i'll try it, but I never had this problem with Kent's product

I add it right in front of a vortec mp20--doubt there isn't enough flow there. It still forms little clumps.

Plus I don't think I'm saturated yet because my alkalinity is still reading on the low side.

Stephen-in-Va

It's perfectly normal for it to form the little snowflakes. Try adding it very slowly (ie a doser or dripper) or in a over flow or filter return. The key is adding it slowly to high water movement. I have my dosers plumbed into my displays over flow where it goes into the sump. Don't notice the snowflakes anymore. I'd be careful if you're adding it to your display if your system is sumpless. It would worry me that some of it would get on something and burn/damage it before dissolving.

Make sure to keep your Magnesium in check as well, it's just as important as calc/alk and helps keep <--- those at proper levels.

Archived