ReefCleaners.org

D-D H2Ocean PRO+ Review

nanoreefnate

:blink:

Holy shmackerons! now thats a LONG time.

what a dedicated reefer :D

:bowdown:

...and I still don't know what I'm doing :lol:

Anyway, back on topic...

Im using D-D and I like it alot. I have no corals yet as I used it to start up my new tank.

It mixes well, no cloud for me. I always keep it going with a powerhead atleast 24hrs. Usually make it thursday night, use it saturday morning. I don't know what peoples obsession is with make it and use it in an hour. What is so hard about letting it sit for a day.

My last change it looked like there was a bit of sand at the bottom of the bucket. Anyone else ever have that?

So here's my .03....

I have used Tropic Marin (regular), Reef Crystals, Oceanic, Red Sea Coral Pro and D-D H2O.

I have also done extensive research on the different salt brands and talked to many different ppl on this subject.

Through all of the above, I have learned that pretty much all salt brands have a bad batch every once in a while, no matter how good the company is.

I have also learned that sometimes ppl in different parts of the country will see very different results from the same salt due to the fact that they are getting salt from different production locations/factories, whatever you wanna call them.

Tropic Marin is one of the salts that seems guilty of having different numbers in salts that come from different locations. Interestingly enough, I used this salt for years and liked it. Did run into problems with it in the end though.

In my personal experience, D-D H20 is the brand of salt that has worked the best for me.

It is what I use now.

I do mix it at least 24 hrs. and 48 hrs. if possible.

I had it mix up cloudy once, and I tossed the batch. I suspect the cloudiness in that batch was actually from bad RO water though.

I mixed another batch right after that with Distilled water, using salt from the same bucket, and it mixed up fine.

I and many other ppl do get a substance that looks like sand at the bottom of my mixing bucket.

There's a lot of discussion about this on the other D-D thread, but the bottom line is that it is not a negative thing that cause problems with the salt.

So here's my .03....

I have used Tropic Marin (regular), Reef Crystals, Oceanic, Red Sea Coral Pro and D-D H2O.

I have also done extensive research on the different salt brands and talked to many different ppl on this subject.

Through all of the above, I have learned that pretty much all salt brands have a bad batch every once in a while, no matter how good the company is.

I have also learned that sometimes ppl in different parts of the country will see very different results from the same salt due to the fact that they are getting salt from different production locations/factories, whatever you wanna call them.

Tropic Marin is one of the salts that seems guilty of having different numbers in salts that come from different locations. Interestingly enough, I used this salt for years and liked it. Did run into problems with it in the end though.

In my personal experience, D-D H20 is the brand of salt that has worked the best for me.

It is what I use now.

I had it mix up cloudy once, and I tossed the batch. I suspect the cloudiness in that batch was actually from bad RO water though.

I mixed another batch right after that with Distilled water, using salt from the same bucket, and it mixed up fine.

I and many other ppl do get a substance that looks like sand at the bottom of my mixing bucket.

There's a lot of discussion about this on the other D-D thread, but the bottom line is that it is not a negative thing that cause problems with the salt.

I too, get a little of the silvery and black sand. might just be a by product of the salt mixing?

Another great thing about this product is it comes from Israel and they don't do anything half-assed there.

I have been in the dead sea over there and have toured the dead sea salt facility where they harvest it. If its anything like that then I will trust my tank to it anyday

Another great thing about this product is it comes from Israel and they don't do anything half-assed there.

I have been in the dead sea over there and have toured the dead sea salt facility where they harvest it. If its anything like that then I will trust my tank to it anyday

WOW. thats amazing! How'd you get it?!

+1 Isreal is an awesome place! where theres not fighting... ;)

Deleted User 6
I too, get a little of the silvery and black sand. might just be a by product of the salt mixing?

I get it too...i've heard it silicate or something of the sort. but i've never noticed any harm to my tank. I usually am able to pour the water into the tank and leave that particulate in the bucket.

WOW. thats amazing! How'd you get it?!

+1 Isreal is an awesome place! where theres not fighting... ;)

Was over there on a tour in January, during week 2 of the 3 week Gaza battle. Got to tour some awesome places.

Honestly there is always fighting going on, the people there are just used to it. The crazy stat about Israel that I love is that over the past 10 years there have been no more than three civilian murders with guns. In Philly you have more than that in a day. And everyone in Israel has guns and was military at somepoint.

I get it too...i've heard it silicate or something of the sort. but i've never noticed any harm to my tank. I usually am able to pour the water into the tank and leave that particulate in the bucket.

I pump the water out with a rio pump and the sand stuff usually stays with the bucket

Was over there on a tour in January, during week 2 of the 3 week Gaza battle. Got to tour some awesome places.

Honestly there is always fighting going on, the people there are just used to it. The crazy stat about Israel that I love is that over the past 10 years there have been no more than three civilian murders with guns. In Philly you have more than that in a day. And everyone in Israel has guns and was military at somepoint.

I pump the water out with a rio pump and the sand stuff usually stays with the bucket

Iknew it...im moving to Israel....:P

D_D or red sea coral pro is made in Israel? I know that Red Sea is (kinda obvious by the name). Just curious!

I've been using red sea but only so-so satisfied. I might wander a bit from brand to brand, and i've heard some buzz on this D-D.

masterbuilder

I tried Red Sea very briefly when I ran out of TM, thought it might be better. Was not the case for me. My corals reacted poorly to it and took several days after each water change to regain their normal appearance. I may not be the best source of info though as I have only used two other salts in the last few years. (DD and TM).

I was in Israel many years ago. It is an awesome place but was very different. When I was there, the usual conflict was going on. My friend, who was on active military duty left each morning and DROVE his own car to an area near the battle, did his shift and drove home each night...that was so weird to me.

So here's my .03....

It is what I use now.

Waetabix7 . I might have a bad batch of D D salt.

I might be lucky with Tropic Marin because I have a same result in last couple years. I don't want to run into bad batch of Tropic Marin because they are expensive.

Most of reefers here wait at least 24 hours before waterchange. I did wait 1.5 days for D-D salt , because I had cloudy mix. ( I didn't wait for Tropic Marin mix)

You said you had bad batch with bad RO water? What is TDS of that RO water ? 3 ppm above?

Is Distilled Water same thing with RO/DI ?

Guys: One more thing I forgot to ask

Did you guy ever clean the mixing bin ? Did you guy notice any dirty stuffs on the side of the bin (not the residue at the bottom)?

Waetabix7 . I might have a bad batch of D D salt.

I might be lucky with Tropic Marin because I have a same result in last couple years. I don't want to run into bad batch of Tropic Marin because they are expensive.

Most of reefers here wait at least 24 hours before waterchange. I did wait 1.5 days for D-D salt , because I had cloudy mix. ( I didn't wait for Tropic Marin mix)

You said you had bad batch with bad RO water? What is TDS of that RO water ? 3 ppm above?

Is Distilled Water same thing with RO/DI ?

Guys: One more thing I forgot to ask

Did you guy ever clean the mixing bin ? Did you guy notice any dirty stuffs on the side of the bin (not the residue at the bottom)?

I feel your pain, I've been there.

Like I said before, almost all salts, no matter how good, have a bad batch from time to time.

I've had it happen with more than one brand.

The TDS of my RO/DI water is right around 3 ppm right now, might be a little higher.

The TDS of the Distilled I am using was right around .5 ppm.

I have my TDS meter on a pretty sensitive setting and have never gotten a reading of O TDS.

I have found that as long as it is under 1 ppm, it seems to be fine.

As far as the mixing bin, mine will develop a light layer of brown over time.

To clean it, I soak it in white vinegar and hot water overnight, comes right off the next day.

My LFS has just now started to carry this salt. I buy my salt water pre-mixed from him for my water changes. It'll be interesting to see what kind of results my SPS have, although it'll have to be good. My lfs had been using Tropic Marin Pro and I have been very pleased with it. ;)

I have been using this salt for about 2 months. SO far i am happy with it. I do a 5gal wc a week in my 28gal Nano Cube, and I have never dosed a thing. Added Sps a couple of weeks ago, so that might change.

I feel your pain, I've been there.

Like I said before, almost all salts, no matter how good, have a bad batch from time to time.

I've had it happen with more than one brand.

The TDS of my RO/DI water is right around 3 ppm right now, might be a little higher.

The TDS of the Distilled I am using was right around .5 ppm.

I have my TDS meter on a pretty sensitive setting and have never gotten a reading of O TDS.

I have found that as long as it is under 1 ppm, it seems to be fine.

As far as the mixing bin, mine will develop a light layer of brown over time.

To clean it, I soak it in white vinegar and hot water overnight, comes right off the next day.

thanks.

I got the same brown layer with the salt, so I clean it up right after I do waterchange.

I change my DI media after 7-8 waterchange. to keep it low TDS as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the salt, it mixes to advertised levels for me (on my 2nd bucket), my only complaint is that it does leave a little more residue at the bottom of my bucket, so I have to scrub my bucket well once a month. But ever since I started using it ive had crazy coral growth. my Frogspawn and candy cane seem to be growing heads left and right ever since I started using this, and I had them sitting in Red Sea Coral Pro or Reef Crystals for about 6 months with little to no growth.

• 5 weeks later...
My LFS has just now started to carry this salt. I buy my salt water pre-mixed from him for my water changes. It'll be interesting to see what kind of results my SPS have, although it'll have to be good. My lfs had been using Tropic Marin Pro and I have been very pleased with it. ;)

UPDATE 12/29/09...... Just wanted to share that Ive been using this now for a little over a month. I've done 3 water changes each time (10 gallons per water change). Let me say my SPS corals have never looked better! I have an ORA Pearlberry that didn't show much, if any, polyp extension. Now they are out and noticeable even while the lights are on! And I have a rainbow monti that only showed rusty-red polyps. Now I'm seeing all kinds of colors, red, green and orange on it! Needless to say, I'm very pleased with it! ;)

I switched about a month or so ago, and it definitely mixes better than my red sea coral pro did...no longer cloudy water during WC, although I have not been able to maintain a good (8.3) pH...its been around 7.8 which I know isn't HORRIBLE, but makes me nervous. May not be the salts fault though.

I'm going to try the new brightwell salt when my DD is done though. It kinda sounds better!

• 2 months later...
Nano sapiens

Update: I've used this D-D salt for a few water changes and everything in the tank seems to like it!

I haven't had to adjust my Kalkwasser dosing at all since the Cal and Alk seem to be identical to RC. Mg dosing hasn't changed, either.

I can't really say its better than RC due to my tank being an uncontrolled environment. However, I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Archived