Coral Vue Hydros

First Signs of Copper in the water?

Acan Lord

Since a couple months ago nothing has gone right in my tank. Iv bought shrimp they die a night later. I only have one snail left and one crab left. Any time i put a new fish in there it dies in a week. My polyps never open up. Sps die over night and lps never grown. Mushrooms always do great. So I began thinking maybe it is my water even though i do 20% change every week. Brough a sample to my fish store and he even showed me the test every thing was perfect. So i was at a loss until today the idea of copper came to mind. I dont know how copper could have gotten into the tank but it sounds like somethings copper does. Is there any way to test or does anyone think this is possible? THanks everyone

Since a couple months ago nothing has gone right in my tank. Iv bought shrimp they die a night later. I only have one snail left and one crab left. Any time i put a new fish in there it dies in a week. My polyps never open up. Sps die over night and lps never grown. Mushrooms always do great. So I began thinking maybe it is my water even though i do 20% change every week. Brough a sample to my fish store and he even showed me the test every thing was perfect. So i was at a loss until today the idea of copper came to mind. I dont know how copper could have gotten into the tank but it sounds like somethings copper does. Is there any way to test or does anyone think this is possible? THanks everyone

how on earth would copper get into your tank?! do you use copper pipe or is your tank a used one?

i would think it would be more along the lines of chlorine.

very possible it actually happened to a friend of mine.

1) where do you get your top off water?

2) i believe API makes a test kit

3) use polyfilters

xiongaquatics

the wholesaler and some of the LFS actually run copper on their fish system. this help kill any disease that the fish may have. shrimp are kept in the same water as coral because copper will kill them.

are you poring any of the water in the fish bag in to your tank? if so that could be a way copper could have got in there.

are you using water from an ro/di system?

Archived