SaltCritters.com

found strange snail

blk_g20

I got one of those a few weeks ago as a hitch hiker in a shipment of garf grunge, yes its a nas, and it burrows in the sand . . when it gets on top of the sand or the glass it can really move though. The one I have is maybe 1 to 1 1/2 centimeters long, and it can travel from one end of my 15g to the other in about 30 seconds, thats 2 inches every 3 seconds.

Definatly a 'good guy', he will happily bury himself in the sand and munch down on fish poop for the rest of his days. . . mine is cool, he stays burried except for a small tube that he sticks up through the sand . . guess thats his periscope. Im thinking of getting several more of them just for the coolness factor.

Originally posted by blk_g20

is this a nassarius too? found it wandering around on my clam.  it has a snout like a nassarius, but the shell is different.

WHELK! Those can be mollusk killers/eaters. Keep an eye on that one.

-Sumbel.

I had a snail a lot like that second one that was eating my other snails until I nabbed him out with some tweezers- I've seen a couple of discussion threads (so who knows) mentioning that guys that look like that could be cone snails, which are very poisonous to people, so I nabbed him with the tweezers just to be on the safe side. My bad one was mainly nocturnal and hid in a hole in the lr in the daytime if that helps any to id your guy.

The first pic does not look like a nass to me. Does it have a proboscis? (the little snout thing) Looks too squat to me to be a nassarius also my nassarius all have smooth shells not all of those protrusions.

Archived