kolei

clear white worms - bad or good?

kolei

I tried searching through the posts on this site but could not figure out what these worms are. So I had to ask.

I see a lot of these small white (almost clear) tentacles coming out of the sand and rocks in my tank. They get around an inch long. I would see even more during feeding time. I don't have a picture since I don't have a camera on hand and they are very small.

Does anyone know what these little creatures are? Are they good or bad?

Thanks!

kolei
Are the strands coming out of tubes made of sand or rubble? Harmless worms, imo.

Try here: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html

No they are not. I'm not even sure they are worms. It looks more like little tentacles coming out of the sand. No legs or segments on it as far as I can see.

corallineadam

sounds like harmless detritovores to me

xiongaquatics

i think you might be talking about Spaghetti Worm. here is a picture i found on goggle.com

Medua%20spaghetti%20worm.jpg

systemtool

They are fine. Good sign of a healthy tank I think too. I have lots of them. They come out of a little tube like a feather duster.

kolei

It looks like the spaghetti worms but I don't think so. The tentacles are not that long and seems to comes in twos. Some look like they come out of tubes like feather duster but the tube looks more "constructed" then like a natural part of the creature.

Maybe they are good and I just don't know it. It doesn't look like it is harming any of the corals.

carbon-mantis

Hmm, maybe a spionid worm?

kolei

I think it is along the same family line as spionid worms. Just thought I ask since I see lots of them in the sand and rocks.

Mr. Microscope

I believe these are called hair worms. Usually two come out of tube (i think one shorter than the other) Related to spaghetti worm. Very good for the tank. I was delighted to find some in mine.

kolei

I think you're right. If that's an indication of a healthy tank, then mine's pretty healthy since I see lots of these little guys. :happy:

kolei

Thanks matty0206! This is exactly what mine looks like.

matty0206

No problem. I have tons of those also.

lakshwadeep

+1 to possible spionid.

BlueAbyss

I have a bunch of these also, +1 to spionid (or, apparently, another similar creature called a chaet-something ;)