inTank Media Baskets

How big IS nano?

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Guest LudavicoTechnique

As we are all members of a nano-reef forum, I was wondering what size (in gallons) people consider to be nano. For me, it's LESS than 21 gallons. What does everyone think?

There is no standard. Its arbituary.

But I guess I'd consider my 24G to be a nano as its a lot smaller than traditional reef tanks which are generally 45G and up.

Or perhaps I can call it a supernano?

I guess whaever floats your boat as they say.

I suppose I always thought of my tank as a nano tank else I would have been a regular member at reefcentral or ultimatereef from the start.

I've seen "definitions" that say a nano is 20 gallons and under, and others that say a nano is 10 gallons and under. When you consider that the Pacific Ocean alone is 190,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons, pretty much any aquarium could be considered a nano. Like everything else, it's all relative. :)

• 1 month later...

Personally I would say anything around 25 gallons is a nano. Regardless, any reef is a reef nomatter what size it is. My 20 "nano" won Tank Of The Month last month on Reef Central. Some people emailed me telling me that is wasn't a "real" reef. I didn't quite know what to say to that thinking.gif.

I dunno...everything is a nano compared to the ocean. I would have to say that people with "nano" reefs typically go against the grain in terms of filters, life, etc and seems to be a notch up the ladder in difficulty. Not that it is bad but just different.

Nano is a good term but has a broad definition...

Cameron

johnrags1234

well im not sure but when i had my 20h i just looked at it as a small aquarium so id say nano would be more like 15 and under but REAL nanos to me are like less than 10. I guess one reason i look at like this is b/c when you read aquarium books every once in a while youll find one that mentions 20 and 15 g tanks but never realy anything smaller than 10. i kinda look at nanos as kind of exotic for some reason. sorry about babling on just my opinion

Archived