Cultivated Reef

Bryozoan??? (sp)

birdman204

What is this branching creature? I noticed it when I first got the rock, but it is much bigger now. It is growing in a somewhat shaded area. Is it a Bryoazoan? Or am I wrong and too lazy to look it up again? Thanks

Most likely a primitive type of coral, I think that's the same thing... lol.

I used to have this stuff spreading all over my tank like the plague. Found out it doesn't like zoanthids, and furthermore, doesn't like better lighting.

-Sumbel.

i dunno, looks pretty long to be a foram and too regularly branched.

like sumbel, i was thinking bryo or maybe branching coralline algae. the orange color makes it unlikely for coralline (unless it's diseased or the pic's lighting's screwy) so i figured it was a bryo as orange is a more likely color for them. it could be a young colony just starting out.

Yes it is orange. I do not think it is coralline. It is about 1 inch in total, although it wasnt (visible ) on the rock when I got it, so this is all new growth. to give you perspective, those zoo heads that are closed are about the size of a Pea.

Unfortunaltley for me, that little window you are looking thru is the only place I can see it. I wish I could see it's full body structure. I had another growing on top of the rock, but of course the bruisers , 3 hermits , broke that off in a jiffy :P

thanks for the replies, I will look up forams and see as well. thanks.

Wonder Twin Powers activate: Foram of a thinktank!

Didn;t realize it was that large. I do have "foramish" growths like that deep under the rock, but it ia moew white in color

Archived