Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

High Alkalinity

pmemmer

OK, I've been testing alk in my fairly new tank (2.5 months) for about 3 weeks. The level has always hovered around 13.8 dKH / 4.9 meq/L. Measured using the Salifert test kit. I'm doing 15% weekly water changes, and using Instant Ocean salt mix.

So that is on the high side, I know. How much should I worry, and if it's necessary, what can I do to bring it down?

OK, I've been testing alk in my fairly new tank (2.5 months) for about 3 weeks. The level has always hovered around 13.8 dKH / 4.9 meq/L. Measured using the Salifert test kit. I'm doing 15% weekly water changes, and using Instant Ocean salt mix.

So that is on the high side, I know. How much should I worry, and if it's necessary, what can I do to bring it down?

Not sure what you can do if your salt mix is causing your high alk, maybe try a different salt. Or maybe your test kit is off, take it to your LFS and have them test it.

I've heard that some batches of IO salt mix up with fairly high alk, and most of the time are a bit low on the calcium readings, if you mix your own, you might try stirring up the salt in the container it comes in, making sure its thoroughly mixed, that's a good idea on any salt mix you may get, as some settling/separation may occur while it sits in a warehouse/store/shipping trucks.

I'm actually getting strong results for calc as well... generally 440-540, depending on how close I am to a water change. So perhaps I just need to try a different salt. I only have about 10 gallons worth of my current salt left, so I'll just try a different brand next.

My Alk was also through the roof when I was using IO (13-14) while having low pH (7.8). I switched a couple of weeks back to DD H2Ocean Pro+ and the parameters stabilized. You could try a different salt and see how that works out.

Archived