inTank Media Baskets

Iodine dosing

FlyGTI

Question for the reefers...

How often, and how much iodine do you add to your tanks? How many of you use Lugol's, how many use other types?

I've got a 28 that I dose, but I'm worried that I dose too much, perhaps because of results I saw in a xenia tank that was dosed pretty heavily.

How many drops per gallon, how many times a week?

Thanks,

Ryan

I dose at the manufacture recommened intervals (weekly) at half the dose.

I only dose Iodine because i run a skimmer, else I wouldnt bother with dosing any element other than calcium.

Our salts are made with elevated levels of such things already and thus higher than what in natural sea water, so I see no point in dosing really, unless you are skimming and perhaps skimming does remove trace elements etc.

ya, i'd second that, if you don't have a skimmer then wouldn't be to concerned about dosing.. Its better to go easy on it, rather then heavy..

ps, not that i have much experience with xenia (only had my around 4 weeks) but i find its a great indicator of my water quality... every time it starts to tone down its pulsing i either give it a water change, and its back to normal, or a small dose a bit of iodion (i'f I've been doing some heavily skimming recently) @ a rate of 2ml per 25gallons.

If I don't measure it, then I don't dose it, and iodine test kits are the worst.

I did dose iodine for several months but stopped--noticed no difference.

Ty

NaNO ReeFiN

I dose it twice a week 1/2 of what's recommended on the bottle. I wouldn't dose at all but my LFS suggested it saying it'll help my xenias when I bought them.

I never dose Iodine/Iodide

My belief is If you dont know if you need it dont add it.

Since I dont and prolly will never know if I need Iodine I let my foods take care of it.

HTH,

Toy

Archived