ReefCleaners.org

Help me stock my tank

Coral Dilema

Hey guys, I set up a 10g nano with 5 pounds of base rock and 3 pounds of marshall LR to seed it with about 3 weeks ago. 1 week ago the tank cracked in the bottom, i managed to drain it and recover before I lost much, only about 1 gallon of water ran out.

Anyway, its now in a 15g high tank, same footprint but taller. I need to add more rock which I will be doing sometime this week, probably another mix of aragocrete and marshall rock.

I have about 15 snails and 5 or 6 hermits in it, will be adding a few more of each soon.

So, Now I am ready to start adding to my cleanup crew . . I notice I dont have anything that really digs into the substrate to clean it up, other than some of the cerith snails I have. Also, im thinking of adding a pair of pepermint shrimp, for aptasia control. I have 2 aptasia already and I cant get to them to kill them without destroying the tank in the process.

Questions: Are 2 pepermint shrimp going to be too much for a 15g tank? . . I also have a 10g sump/refug with some caulerpa and other macros in it.

With the small footprint of this tank, am I going to be able to add any brittle stars or cukes or anything else? What would your recommendations be for a more robust cleanup crew?

Lighting is low at the moment, so clams are out, only have 3 18 inch normal output bulbs, but will start replacing them with VHOs one at a time starting in March or April . . will also be adding a 4th bulb. (icecap 660 ballast with only 3 bulbs on it for now)

I decided to go with lower light levels for a while in order to give the corraline time to populate the base rock, Ill be increasing light as the base rock becomes covered, im estimating another 3 to 4 months, there are several small spots on it already (garf grunge is good stuff).

Im not worried about corals and polyps and stuff yet, need to get the cleanup crew finished and add the rest of the LR/BR.

So, what do you guys recommend?

do some searches. check out the nano-reef calendar, find animals you like, see if you can care for them. It's obvious you have done studying on keeping a tank, now study up on some animals. I can't tell you the number of things I wish I didn't have in my tank. Be selective and you will be happy in the long run.

But for an idea, with the NO's, shrimp, fish, feather dusters are some starters, but again, remember they are gonna be there a while , so don;t overstock, and don't go plain;) Once the VHO's are in, your options are much wider, I would say some cool colored Blastomussa, of couse some sweet zoos, maybe a "devils hand" with really cool color. Just look at pics, you'll see plenty of things you like.

Yeah, I had a 40g breeder reef several years ago, but I had to tear it down as I was relocating a lot with my job and want in one place long enough to keep one. I have a new job now and just bought a house in August, I plan on being here a while.

Seems the line of thinking in reef tanks has done a 180 since I was in it before. I still remember the basics, and some of the problems I had and mistakes I made with the other reef, that has saved me a lot of headache already and the tank is only 3 weeks old ( fully cycled in with ammonia and nitrites crashing to 0 in only 9 days after adding garf grunge, I Love that stuff).

Anyway, I dont have any experience keeping a reef this small and I never had pepermint shrimp before. The only recomendatin I saw on pepermint shrimp in my searches was 2 shrimp per 50 gallons of water . . refug included I only have about 20. Im wonderign if 1 would be ok or if I could keep 2 . . . 2 would mean breeding and free food for the corals I keep.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, im going to do some more research . . right now im going to research what the back of my eyelids look like.

You could put two peps in there no problem. As far as sand sifting goes drop in about 10 nassarius snails. They burrow in the sand and are excellent detritus eaters. Head to www.ipsf.com for thier sand bed clams. They stay in the sand and burrow around keeping the sand bed moving. Also pick up thier micro hermits, micro stars and strombus snails.

Whoa 10 nass! That's alotta nass! J/K I thnk if you wanted to add diversity, you could go less nass, and add some checkered nerites, ceriths , and stomatells, All personal favorite algae munchers of mine....

P.S. Caja, remember "he puffed some stuff thread" I think I saw a baby stomatella, it was a little smaller than a Pea, I wonder if there are more.......

Hehe, nass rule. Altho I do have a couple ceriths as well. I think I have 5 nass in the 7.5 and 4 in the minibow along with the two ceriths and a couple margaritas. More snails=happy tank.

yup, the bow right now is rocking , 2 bumblebees , 3 nass. , at least 4 stomatella ( all hitchikers, {or born in the tank} ). I still want at least 1 checkered nerite, and 1 certih. Maybe a trade is in order caja? ;)

Archived