Cultivated Reef

How much do you think its worth?

RESONANCE

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how much do you think a proven/active breeding pair of bangaii cardinals are worth? Someone is offering to sell his to me. He says they're a young pair and have had 3 broods from them already. I don't really know this guy that well so I can't tell how young they are. But they are supposedly holding currently. Thanks.

Zane.

I can tell you I paid $90 for a sexed pair. They were young and had not bred yet. I eventually managed to get a couple of batches of young from them before I traded them to my LFS for a bluespot jawfish.

LOL. They are originally from Indonesian waters so... you mean rupiah right? Lol.

30 Rupies.

Hi Basser1,

Thanks for sharing. His are 3"+ in size. How old do you think they really are? Did you ever recover your cost or make extra $$ from your pair? Thanks again.

I can tell you I paid $90 for a sexed pair. They were young and had not bred yet. I eventually managed to get a couple of batches of young from them before I traded them to my LFS for a bluespot jawfish.
Thunderstruck34

I would guess around two years give or take a few months. My breeding pair were about the same size but I never had a successful brood as everytime my big fat lawnmower blenny or other fish would eat the babies while I was at school! Sadly my female passed away a few months ago but I would say how much they are worth really depends on who's buying. To me I would say $80 would do it...but it depends on a lot of things. If they have had broods how well have the broods fared? Have they made it 8 weeks then died? A successful brood can mean a lot of different things to different ppl as well so I would ask a lil more about that. Also were they captive raised or wild caught? I would def pay more for the captive raised. Hope this helps

Hi,

Yeah, they're captive raised. And he has previous brood from their last 2 breeding done in the past 2 months. He says they breed for him once a month and he gets about 25 fry from them every time. The largest (from 2 months ago) are about 1/2 " right now. Those, he is keeping apparently. He's asking $100. And I get to keep the remaining fry the male currently has in his mouth. Do you think its a decent deal? Thanks.

I would guess around two years give or take a few months. My breeding pair were about the same size but I never had a successful brood as everytime my big fat lawnmower blenny or other fish would eat the babies while I was at school! Sadly my female passed away a few months ago but I would say how much they are worth really depends on who's buying. To me I would say $80 would do it...but it depends on a lot of things. If they have had broods how well have the broods fared? Have they made it 8 weeks then died? A successful brood can mean a lot of different things to different ppl as well so I would ask a lil more about that. Also were they captive raised or wild caught? I would def pay more for the captive raised. Hope this helps

Do you plan on actually raising the fry? And can you unload them somewhere to make a profit? The breeding pair will eat the young within a day if you don't remove either the fry or the parents into another tank.

Archived