ReefCleaners.org

Low Alk, PH and KH. Using buffer with no results

Godsmack00

My Alk measured 3, my PH is about 8 to 8.1 and my KH is 7 at best. That's according to Seachem testing kits which are a bit ambiguous. I have been using Kent superbuffer-dKH to try to raise the PH and Alk but the numbers are barely raising. I have added about 5 teaspoons over the last week and haven't noticed a real change. I haven't done anything new to the tank or added any corals. I have 2 clowns and one scooter blenny and simple corals (GSP, Xenia, Frogspawn and Zoa's) I have a big chunk of cheato in the second chamber with a light that goes on in the rear when my NEP shuts down for the night.

My tank is a 29Bio-cube and approximately 15 months old. I only use my RO/DI water that registers 0 TDS. I noticed about 2 months ago my BTA started looking poor so I stepped up water changes. I always do 5 gallons every 10 days, so now I am doing it every 6 or 7 days. The BTA was doing great and colored up nicely under the NEP compaired to the PC's that it was under at the LFS, but not so much now. It hasn't moved in 8 months so I assume its getting enough light.

Soooo.. could these low numbers be the cause for the BTA looking like Sh*t and deflating constantly and am I using the right buffer for my situation. By no means am I an expert when it comes to water quality but I slowing learning. ALLLL suggestions welcome.

My Alk measured 3, my PH is about 8 to 8.1 and my KH is 7 at best.

Uhh... Perhaps you should define what "alk" and "KH" are here and what units they are reported in.

Have you tried using baking soda or baked baking soda? You can make a solution of one up and dose it as an alkalinity additive.

Read about it here.

The "alk" sounds like it's in meq/L (milliequivalents per liter), while the "kH" may be in dKH units. In either case, I don't know why two tests would be used. I suggest just getting some more reliable tests like those from API, Salifert, or Elos. Stop trying to raise pH because it's already in the normal range. The "alk" and "kH" also are not bad values, if my units assumptions are correct. Why are you even dosing for alkalinity if you don't have any stony corals?

This is a very good guide to discussing reef aquarium parameters. Note that if a reliable test kit shows a value within the normal ranges from this guide, you should be satisfied with it:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

Thanks for the replies and I believe lakshwadeep is correct with the units my tests kits were measuring. I have been at work for the past 8 hours so I have not been able to confirm that. I will continue to read the suggested material everyone has posted. I think I am just trying to hard to figure out why my BTA’s health is slipping, so I am measuring everything I can.

Archived