Pod Your Reef

clicking noises

Rampy

I heard several clicking noises at night from my aquarium and I don't have any livestock on my tank or that's what i think just liver cok, anda all the life that it comes whit them, last night I head the click noise and I tuned on the lights and a I see something white, no color, hiding in one of the rocks, very fast, and another worm hiding in the same live rock, I haven't seen them never whit the lights on. What would they be? mantis shrimp?

If it was white it was most likely a pistol shrimp, nothing to worry about, get it a goby and they will be best friends. If it was a mantis it would most likely be green/blue with red patches . . God help you if you have one of these. Their are 2 varieties of mantis, a spearing type and a crushing type, the crushing type is easily capable of breaking the glass in your aquarium, depending on how large it is . . the impact of a large mantis shrimps club has been estimated to be equivalent to the impact of a .22 rifle bullet. These things are deadly. If you start to see your snails and fish and stuff slowly disappearing, you may have a mantis . . I would sit up a few nights and try to get another good look at it, just to be sure.

Try turning on a very dim light over your tank if you can, like a 15 watt blue or red party bulb, about 2 or 3 feet over the top of your tank, take off the hood/canopy ifyou have one. This should be enough light for you to see but not too much to prevent the shrimp from being active . . a moonlight basically.

go to reef central they have a mantis pro. how much lr do you have??

From what i have seen most stowaways are the clubbing varitiy and will not harm fish but anything in a shell beware. turning the lights out might work thier vision is at a whole different level than ours so good luck. i found mine by luck and then flushed him out with a baster and some fresh water into a ten gallon. he is almost indestractible. i feed him rarley and have never done a water change but he is still there. 8 months i think.

I Just get out the LR where he was hiding it, and sumerge it in fresh water, today when i was shyponing the bottom I found The head and some pieces of it, It was descomposing, It was a mantis

Archived