inTank Media Baskets

glass hood

T11mog

look in the phone book under 'glass'. they will gladly cut any sizes (and any type of glass) you want, and depending on what type of hood you are talking about, you can just assemble the pieces.

nalbar

I've got a Hagen glass hood on my tank. I got it for around 10 bucks and its got plastic runners on each side of the tank and has a peice of glass for the front, a peice of glass for the back, and you can slide the front one back for feeding, tank maintenance etc. It also came with a stick on knob and a clear plastic peice for the back that you can cut to accomodate your filter / accessories. For ~10 bucks it's a good bargain.

Most fish stores sell Hagen stuff . . im sure other companies make em too. Cheap and more functional that a slab of solid glass IMO.

d.

Well . . its pretty disgustingly covered with salt . . needs a cleaning soon. But here it is - it looks a lot better when its clean. (btw: I took the back plastic part off since I'm always moving stuff around)

Here's a full shot of the cover:

fa702d9f.jpg

and here it is with the light on:

fa702d9c.jpg

d.

Reefer_Buddha

why not just go with eggcrate? Covering the top will keep the heat in and probably alter ph since the gas exchange is held in. But thats just my 2 cents :)

Yeah, I think my tank's gonna have to go topless when I get my new lights set up . . the main reason I have the glass top is to keep it safe from pets / friends spilling beer in it . . etc

BTW, whats eggcrate?

d.

well im getting a retro fit light..not sure on the specs i gotta ask my LPS about them...it goes for about 125 my LPS said...but he will give me a 10% discount on it. :-D it was a special order but they ordered 2 so i now get one a lil cheaper!

.... gotta ask my LPS about them...it goes for about 125 my LPS said...

LPS = large polyp stony (coral) I think the abbreviation your looking for is LFS (local fish store). You have to admit, that does sound kinda wierd when you first read it :)

d.

I disagree, I think the glasstop shields the water from the heat of the lights. I have some plastic canvas (from the craft store) along the back to allow for gas exchange yet prevent my Royal Gramma from carpet surfing. You can cut shapes out of the canvas with scissors for your HOB, power cords, etc. It's attached by sandwiching the glass between two layers of canvas assembled using nylon zipties.

Here is my 10g that runs pretty stable at 81 lights on or off. The glasstop condenses and drips back a lot of evaporation so I barely have to top off. The top ALSO keeps my 3-year old kid and other nasties out of the tank.

Archived