Pod Your Reef

are actinic lights for looks or does it help promote growth?

blk_g20

i no long have actinic light after making the switch from 2x65 to a 13,000k 175w halide. the 2x65 were one act. and one 10,000k. the color from the 13,000k looks like that of the PC's so i'm wondering if i need to add actinic lights.

Reefer_Buddha

the blue light of actinic penetrates further into the water than white light does. So it is beneficial but like you, im doing a regent halide soon and i wont have actinic. You could get away with it w/halide because its a full spectrum and its strong enough to push the light unless you have a really deep tank. The blue is good supplement for halide.

photosynthetic organisms "enjoy" the actinic lighting. I would supplement if you had the means. Plus, your corals look really cool at night with just the actinics on ;)

I've been tagging along...

I have 1 65 watt 50/50 and a 13 watt actinic. They do seem to love it when I turn on the actinic one. I am planning on adding another 65 watt's. Should that one be pure actinic. Will the coral's grow faster?

Tony

Reefer_Buddha

i would just go with straight halide since its not that much to diy a pendant. Once you see a good halide system you wont want anything else. But if you just wana get another 65w i would go with full spectrum or 50/50

Archived