Cultivated Reef

Tunze Nano Skimmer

camaroracer214

camaroracer214

Here's a review of the Tunze Nano Skimmer I did over on my blog...click HERE

Overall, I like the skimmer a lot. It did a really good job of skimmer, though it required me to mod the back of my Nano-Cube in order to fully accommodate the collection cup. Also, it's virtually impossible to keep the stock hood on the tank if the nano skimmer is in place, though I've seen some nano aquarists put the skimmer into a tank with a stock hood (required some big time modding though!).

Anyone else using these skimmers? I like them a lot.

I just bought one just waiting to get some live stock in my tank before i put mine in. Glad to here that you really like it. Hope it work as good for me as it did for you.

camaroracer214
I just bought one just waiting to get some live stock in my tank before i put mine in. Glad to here that you really like it. Hope it work as good for me as it did for you.

i actually heard they replaced the older pumps with a newer model or even a newer brand. regardless, it will be a good skimmer. and for a tunze product is sure isn't very expensive is it?

i actually heard they replaced the older pumps with a newer model or even a newer brand. regardless, it will be a good skimmer. and for a tunze product is sure isn't very expensive is it?

I had the chance to speak with Roger this past weekend at SDMAS's Reefapalooza convention. I spoke to him specifically about the 9002 and he mentioned that the newer pump is more or less equivalent to the older pump except it puts out a little more GPH. Performance-wise, whether you have the the older pump or the newer pump, skimmate production should be indistinquishable as both pumps are great. The older model was discontinued not because of performance issues but because of "conflict of interest" with the pump's manufacturer. So, it seems like they pretty much switched manufacturers to avoid any problems down the road.

Also, I find it neat that the new 9002s all come with magnet mounts! No more fiddling around with Tunze's bracket system (which IMO was a PITA sometimes). ;)

camaroracer214
I had the chance to speak with Roger this past weekend at SDMAS's Reefapalooza convention. I spoke to him specifically about the 9002 and he mentioned that the newer pump is more or less equivalent to the older pump except it puts out a little more GPH. Performance-wise, whether you have the the older pump or the newer pump, skimmate production should be indistinquishable as both pumps are great. The older model was discontinued not because of performance issues but because of "conflict of interest" with the pump's manufacturer. So, it seems like they pretty much switched manufacturers to avoid any problems down the road.

Also, I find it neat that the new 9002s all come with magnet mounts! No more fiddling around with Tunze's bracket system (which IMO was a PITA sometimes). ;)

thanks for clearing that up for me. i knew they changed but had no idea why.

and yeah, i love those magnet mounts. one thing that scared me though was how strong they were :o .

• 1 month later...
cheryl jordan
I have the older version but it's not currently in use.

The pump on mine.

I have had the Tunze 9002 for about 8 months and I would say it does a pretty good job, makes very little noise and I like the magnetic attachment. You do have to be mindful of the water level marked on the skimmer it is much more effecent when you maintain it at that mark. Mine is located in the HOB refugium.

• 7 months later...

I have the Tunze 9002 with StevieT cup on my Solana. Since I had Auto Top Off, I figured it would be easy to dial this in. Anyway, I had problems, whenever the pumps were off during feeding.

The GREAT TIP, that I learned from Nano Reef, was to raise the skimmer 1/2 inch to 1 inch above the water line on skimmer. Improved skimmer performance and solved my problem.

I now love this skimmer. Magnet mount is really nice and strong. Lot's of output on the skimmer and quiet.

Archived