Coral Vue Hydros

Live Rocks that puke

OneOfDaZZZ

I wish I could grab a picture of this but it happens randomly; in fact I've only seen it 3 or 4 times.

Well it looks like a stream of fine powdery dust. It comes out of the live rock it a small burst that lasts only a second or two.

I haven't noticed any holes from where this event is happening...

And I have never heard the "clicking"

What is this?

Sounds like you just have some worms/filter feeders in the rock. I get these once in a while...pretty common and really harmless. I highly doubt you'd ever see anything but when the lights are off you'd have your best chance.

Cameron

Originally posted by OneOfDaZZZ

Well it looks like a stream of fine powdery dust.  It comes out of the live rock it a small burst that lasts only a second or two.

This happens in both my 55 gallon and my 20 gallon reef. Usually I see this when a fish seemingly bites the live rock. at first i thought WTF is that? sperm? lol Then days went by and everything seemed fine so I forgot about it. It still happens now and then. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

Did you say you were hearing a clicking sound from the rocks? This makes me think of 2 things that it could be, 1, a pistol shrimp, CONGRATS! you got a free shrimp in your rock!

2, a mantis shrimp . . May God have mercy on the inhabitants of you tank . . and if its a crusher type, your tank itself.

If you can rig up some dim lights (like one of those blue 15 watt party bulbs) above your tank to cast some dim light into the tank you should be able to find out if its one of these. Just sit in front of your tank at night with the dim lights on and wait for it to come out of the rock and look around. Also, if its a mantis shrimp, you will most likely start losing your snails/hermits/fish as it will kill them, even if they are MUCH larger than the mantis.

Large mantis shrimp of the crusher type are capable of breaking 1/2 in thick aquarium glass . . no joke. The impact of their punch has been estimated to be equivalent of a .22 rifle bullet.

Go to www.reefcentral.com and look under the mantis shrimp section for more information on these and how to deal with them. Or do a google search for mantis shrimp or Stomatopods.

If it is a mantis and you can catch it alive, there are a lot of people on reefcentral that would probably pay you good money for it . . so sell it and buy some zos or something.

Originally posted by OneOfDaZZZ

And I have never heard the "clicking"

Originally posted by Coral Dilema

Did you say you were hearing a clicking sound from the rocks?

X) :P

I think it's a worm or something digging tunnels, tunnels are a good place for bacteria, so I guess it's a good thing.

Archived