Innovative Marine Aquariums

Check my understanding

Nathan06

Ok...This is my first post. So, I am 16 and live in KY, USA. I am an experienced FW fish keeper. I have discus, africans, tetra's. Anyhow, I am going to venture into the SW world.

I have cleared a 10 gal that I will be turning into a nano reef. See if I understand what I need to do:

First:Mix salt and water to correct specific gravity.

Second:Add LR(15lbs) and LS(10lbs) (?Am I supposed to add snails at this time?or wait till the cycle is over?)

Third:Let the tank cylce-couple weeks to month

Fourth:w/c and add snails, if I haven't already done so, and hermits

Fifth:I think I'll get a 6 frag nano pack from seacrop for $40...or should i get 12 $75...I dont know how much room I have for things to grow in a 10 gallon...I think 12 might be to much?

Sixth:Add a couple cleaner skunk shrimp

Seventh:add a percula clown

Eighth:find an anemone for the clown-reccomendations for a 10 gal anemone?

Nineth:Add one last small fish-fire fish possibly

Tenth:Watch the corals grow:)

I have a couple more questions as well. How much light is really needed for clams? And they should be introduced when it has been established for a while. Is a quad 96W 50/50 pc good enough for shrooms and polyps and zoos and stuff like that? I'll probably think of more questions later...

Thanks for help

Nathan

Reefer_Buddha

most of it looks ok but the anemone part is where its not good. They're hard to take care of and clowns dont "need" them. Tank raised clowns will host a variety of other corals, xenia, toadstool , gsp etc. Someone will come along and answer the rest of your q's

make sure to get yourself a nice test kit

if you want to have less water chemistry problems, only get the clown

as far as the anemone goes, wait untill the tank is mature (stable growth, no changes to structure/design of tank, established maintenance schedule) then you might be able to introduce it. some say, depending on what type of anemone it is, you should intoduce it first, before the corals, that way it can find a good place for itself and not kill your corals in search of one. your call. look for Bubble Tip Anemones, they'll do you good.

your lighting is fine, but for clams, you need Metal Halide lighting, do a search for clams and lighting, you'll fine tons of questions you might have that have already been answered. and yes, wait to introduce them.

also, post what equipment is gunna go in the tank, how are you gunna take care of nutrient export? refugium? skimmer?, what about temp? and flow?

Thank you all for answering my Q's.:happy: But I don't think I got an answer for one...can I add the snails during cycle...or do I after the cylce.

I guess I won't be doing clams since I am going to have PC lighting. What about the flame scallops.....they don't even need light.

This is the equipment /specs I plan on having

• 50W Ebo Jager heater---78*(need to be any higher?)
    Marineland's Penguin 660 powerhead (175gph)
    Reef Crystals Sea Salt
    20" 96W 50/50 PC lighting
    I'll be doing 10-20% weekly w/c's
    I'm not going to use a skimmer...all natural.
    I dont really see a need for a refugium....and I don't have the space and don't really understand it....I mean all I know is you can grow things in it out of the main tank that would get destroyed. Anything I need to know?

I'm having a hard time finding a dealer online that I can get only 15lbs of liverock from...and if I ever did the shipping is crazy...so I am going to call some places in Louisville, KY (about 45 miles away from me) and see if they have LR and LS. This is my largest problem right now....and I need to get this soon so it can be cycling.

Nathan

Reefer_Buddha

you shouldnt be adding anything until the cycle is over.

Refugiums are nice to have but nothing thats essential right now. You can grow phytoplankton etc there so you wont have to dump you paycheck on marine snow or dt's phytoplankton.

Im sure there's a lfs that has lr near you. I would also suggest a skimmer even tho you think you dont need one now they do help dramatically. If you cant afford one just diy one.

OK:) Nothing until cycle is done.(just like FW)

Unfortunately, all my LFS have stopped carrying any living saltwater thing.:angry: but it doesn't really matter b/c the last shop that carried saltwater...wasn't good. Their LR was covered in that round, green algea that pops and spreads.

Anyhow, I'll be searching in Louisville for LR and LS...if I dont have any luck I'm going to be kinda screwed.

On the phytoplankton...what corals eat that...most all? Xenia, zoos, star polyps, candy coral, mushrooms? Will there be enough for them to survive from the LR or am I going to have to buy the marine snow? How do I grow the phytoplankton? I have a small (3 gallons maybe) acrylic tank.

I appreciate the help.

If you're going to look for stores in Louisville, try Feeder's Supply #7. I sell to Lynn over there sometimes and she's really nice. She should be able to provide you with rock and sand.

As far as our nano-packs: For a 10 gallon tank I wouldn't get 12 frags. Especially if you don't have a store nearby to sell the excess growth to. Go with the 6 pack.

Thanks much Mary:) Do you know which store that is? On what Rd. or Hwy.? Anyhow, thanks that really helps:)

I think I will go for the 6 package.

Nathan

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

Refugiums ... You can grow phytoplankton etc there so you wont have to dump you paycheck on marine snow or dt's phytoplankton.

Whoa! How do you grow phyto in a fuge? This is news to me!
Reefer_Buddha

well i think i was misinformed on that one. Some guy i read was doing it. On dt's phytoplankton it talks about setting up something similar but i dont think its phytoplankton.

Reefer_Buddha

from what i read about phyto it should be dosed 2 times a week anyway, i duno how a constant supply would harm or hurt the system.

Archived