Pod Your Reef

Cloudy Water after Change

MikeW

Hey guys,

So I've done a little research on this but can't seem to find a reasonable answer so I'm turning to ya'll for some information.

My tank is a 1.5 year old NanoCube that has overall been doing fantastic. Loaded with coral and a couple smaller fish. I check water parameters every Saturday and log everything into an excel spreadsheet to watch for fluctuation and patterns...everything is perfect.

So I've noticed that my water becomes extremely cloudy when I do water changes. None of the coral or fish seem to be affected at all by it but it takes about a day or so to clear up to the crystal clear water that I am used to seeing. Any idea what could be causing this?

A few things about my water changing procedure, I mix up all the water in a separate container 24 hours before a water change with a powerhead, a heater, air pump for added O2 and thermometer to match temps. I double check that the SG is the same and that the temp is the same. I do add trace minerals into the new water. The water color change in my tank is instantaneous as soon as I add the new water. I hold a plate on the top of the water when I put water in to help diffuse it and keep the water from mixing up the sand.

So any idea what could be causing the water to get cloudy?

Thanks!

Mike

Archived