Pod Your Reef

emergency help

Webster_5001

yesterday morning my tank looked great and then in the afternoon my clown, snails and sexy shrimp started to look pretty crappy. i did an emergency water change of 11 gal out of my 30 and the tank went crazy cloudy. eventually i lost the clown (only fish in the tank) and all 3 sexies. i tested my water this moring to find everthing normal except my NO2 and NO3 off the charts. i moved the tank to a new house about 3 weeks ago and it was doing great up till yesterday. evertyhing was stable and the corals took about 3 days after the move and then they were happy. i live in a small town with very little resources here and would like any suggestions i can get. many thanks in advance

i left about 2" of water in the bottom of the tank, got the tank in my jeep, then put enuf water in to cover all the rock for the trip. it wasn't out of water much more than 20 min

20 mins is still long enough to start the die off period. You may have went through another cycle. were you doing water changes after the move? Did you watch ammonia, nitrite?

i transported all my water to here. the only new water was ATO water from a RO/DI machine. TDS was good on the water and 0 copper in it so i used it. i must admit i did not check params after the move until i had this problem. ammonia, trites and trates are all hi

you went through another cycle. You could have used all new water and not saved any. You allowed the rock to dry out which killed the bacteria and the tank had to start from scratch. It couldn't handle the waste and ammonia and nitrite were present.

frequent water changes. You need to watch ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Basically you are going to soft cycle this tank by doing a water change every 3-4 days

Archived