ReefCleaners.org

tank over heated sps look better

jdepp

hey i forgot to turn the fans on my hqi today and was gone for thanksgiving dinner for about 7 hrs. the therm i have only reads to 86deg, and was totally black the water was warm to the touch which as you know the human body temp is 98-99 deg, so it must have been more like 100deg, the amazing thing is that my sps clams and zoos show no signs of distress they actually have more color and are opened up more than ever? the only thing that seem a little upset is the waving hand but thats not even that bad. anyone got any ideas on this i always thought the ocean was like 70-80 deg tops i don't get it, this happened before when i had soft corals and they all shrivled up and looked like death my lps blasto lost two polyops when it happened but now its weird there is a little brown cyno on the glass which is not normally there but other than that everything seems better then normal i'm confused please respond to give me some ideas

1) - Your water is not 99 degrees. The way water will "feel" depends on the ambient temperature in the room. If the room is 60 degrees, the 80 degree water will feel warm. If the room is 90 degrees, 80 degree water will feel cool. I have a hard time believing your tank looks good in 99 degree water.

2) - Water temp in the reef areas of the ocean can vary from the low 70s and even upper 60s up to the lower 90s. It is more about a consistent temperature. Many reef experts might suggest a higher temperature for a tank anyway to maximize growth. I keep mine at ~85 degrees.

Generally, with good water quality your reef can be more resiliant to mistakes than you think at times (read NOT ALWAYS). Think about this: if you are a young healthy person, can't you withstand vast variations in what you eat, the ambiant temperature, etc.?

thanks for the info i was thrown off by the fact that my thermometer was well over 86, but i stuck a glass therm in it and it read like 80 when the other was at 86 so it reads high to begin with it was probably like 85-90 which as you say is ok and might suggest that my particular corals like higher temps.

sry 4 double, i forgot to mention that i have a 150w hqi over a 2.5g i know some would say this is over kill and mabey it is but the sps and clams seem to love it also my ten was acrylic and scratched to hell so i switched everything from the ten to 2 2.5's and used one for soft and lps with flouresents and the other my hqi from the ten

IMO 150W HQI should be fine lightwise and temperature wise if you are able to keep it at around 86-87 degrees. As long as you can maintain constant salinity (how are you topping off? You will have a decent amount of evaporation) I don't think a tank around those temps (remember to keep them constant) is that big of a deal.

it usually does'nt evap that much, and when it does i generally notice and pour in some fresh ro water also i drip kalk at night i have 2 fans on it one in the canopy and one 2 in., blowing under the canopy to cool the area between the canopy and the water i have a ref so i can see the water level in the tank drop i keep it at the black ridge so as soo as it goes below it i can see it and know its time to topoff towards the end of the light cycle i'll let it drop below a little so i can do the kalk drip without worring about it overflowing,i also keep the light 0n for only 8 hrs, since it's such intense light for such A small tank

Archived