Pod Your Reef

Salifert Test kits?

MitchW

My LFS swears by Salifert Test kits. He says they are very accurate. I am thinking of buying a tank and wanted to know if Salifert makes good test kits.

Militant Jurist

What's the shelf life? My API have recently gone kaput, so I'm in the market, but I want something that is long lasting!

What's the shelf life? My API have recently gone kaput, so I'm in the market, but I want something that is long lasting!

All Salifert test kits have an expiration date printed on the box. How long they last after you get them depends on how long they've been sitting on the shelf of your LFS.

Militant Jurist
All Salifert test kits have an expiration date printed on the box. How long they last after you get them depends on how long they've been sitting on the shelf of your LFS.

I guess what I'm asking is do they last more than the 1 year that API's do? I know that how long it will last for me depends on how long it's been on the shelf, but I'm wondering about an objective measure.

either go with salifert or elos they are the best out there but i do like Tropic Marin of Kh and CA test they are easy to use and acurrate as long as you use a white piece of paper for the CA test kit because it changes from light blue to clear

I guess what I'm asking is do they last more than the 1 year that API's do? I know that how long it will last for me depends on how long it's been on the shelf, but I'm wondering about an objective measure.

Ahhh... yes. Definitely last longer than 1 year. I always buy mine online so it's kind of a crap shoot as to the expiration date. Sometimes its 18 months sometimes 2 years. I usually run out and need to order a new one however before the expiration date comes....

Salifert Test kits are good but their so not worth the cost anymore. With the dollar falling 1 Salifert Test is more expensive then a whole api test kit which work good enough.

Salifert Ammonia Test Kit 24.99$ now

API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit 21.99$

Salifert Test kits are good but their so not worth the cost anymore. With the dollar falling 1 Salifert Test is more expensive then a whole api test kit which work good enough.

Salifert Ammonia Test Kit 24.99$ now

API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit 21.99$

I will give you that API makes good cheap kits. The only problem is they aren't as precise as Salifert. When trying to come up with dosing amounts in SPS tanks I prefer to know the exact number where API has a wider range. I do use API for checks here and there, but I've got thousands in my tank... not worth the risk to me.

If you are just cycling a new tank the API kit is fine for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH but for anything else they are not even in the ballpark. I use Salifert for everything else and they are definitely worth the difference.

Do you have any other options available to you? depending on the type of tank you're planning to run, it is COST PROHIBITIVE to buy quality reef test kits if you have an alternative available to you.

my LFS is a marine specialty store that will test "cycle" parameters for free, and will charge $1 for other tests (Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, etc.) using Elos kits. I figure, if I'm paying $25 (+shipping) for a Salifert Magnesium test kit that does 50 tests and has a short shelf life, and I'm not going to be testing Magnesium weekly (biweekly at best, more likely monthly unless I'm specifically adjusting my Mg), it does not make financial sense to buy the test kits myself. In the long run, I might save a bit of money, and it's nice to have the convenience, and in a way it's kind of fun to play chemist, but there are places I'd rather put that money.

Of course, not everyone has alternatives available -- my LFS is a pretty good marine specialty place. Even if yours isn't great, though, I would investigate your options before plunking down a huge sum of money that might be better spent elsewhere, especially in light of the fact that you'll be setting up a new tank and there will be all kinds of things you'll need/want to buy along with it. Please don't take this as me downplaying the importance of testing/water parameters at all, though.

On the other hand, depending on the magnitude of your ambitions and the size of your wallet, it's nice to have the test kits available to you to diagnose problems on the spot. Just some food for thought.

Militant Jurist

I just bought a new Salifert Alk test kit for $13. It's good until 2012, so although $13 is about half of the cost of the API Reef Master kit, it's also going to last a lot longer than the API would.

I started using API kits but then first went to Salifert for Phosphate tests... now I've only got API for pH and everything else Salifert. The difference that that little bit of extra coin makes is massive - they're more difficult to use at first, granted, but once you're used to the measurement style and kit methods (they're pretty uniform across the range) it's easy as pie. Last for ages, give bang-on readings (except ones which will give you a margin of error and normally include calibration fluid regardless), and are much easier to work with most of the time than trying to guess what colour matches on kits like your APIs.

Kinda feel sorry for you guys though, I buy my Salifert kits at a rate which is cheaper than individual API kits.. :huh:

Militant Jurist
Kinda feel sorry for you guys though, I buy my Salifert kits at a rate which is cheaper than individual API kits.. :huh:

You should share the wealth! ;)

skimlessinseattle
You should share the wealth! ;)

Seriously! Hanging that tidbit out there like that is just uncool! Mandatory information sharing! :lol:

Militant Jurist
unless you guys want to pay for shipping from Australia!

"From: Bloody kangaroos!"

;)

I guess it depends on just how steep his discount is! :P

I guess it depends on just how steep his discount is! :P

I get most of my Salifert test kits for about AU$11 from my supplier (thanks in part to being a member of the local reef club - we get a discount), only ones that're really steeper than that is the Strontium and TDS ones. Compare that to the ~AU$17 or so for an API kit (~$70 for a reef master... wtf?) of the same type and it quickly adds up. Hell, Tropic Marin kits go for anywhere upwards of $35 a throw here... I think I'm satisfied with my Salifert for now ;)

Archived