Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ 28 QuadCF Build - Now Upgrading to LEDs!

pprice01

Just bit off LEDs! No more heat issues, coral restrictions, or bulbs to replace for me!

I found a member here at NR to build me a retro inside the hood and I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'm going with 24 XPs and dimmable drivers - Evil66 said that this setup should give me about the equivalent to a 175w MH so I should be able to grow just about anything. Maybe a blue Maxima Clam would look good on the sand in the open spot on the lower-left; we'll see.

I am going to have a hard time waiting three+ weeks to get the hood back, but the LFS loaned me a T5 light that I just set on top of the tank for the interim.

I will be making the jump into SPS as soon as I get the hood back and will post photos when I do.

Wish me luck.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and Merry Christmas!

I'm debating on wiping my tank out when I move next month and starting over. I am hoping that I can get some sound advice from the N-R masters, so please feelf free to chime in. Here's my situation:

1. Had a bad infestation of flatworms - they do seem to be gone after 2 Velvet Nudibranches had their way with them, but I'm still a bit leary of them coming back after the move if I have the chance to get rid of them once and for all.

2. I'm curious if the sand bed should be replaced - seems like the perfect opportunity to take care of that. Maybe swap out my Oolite with some black sand? I don't know.

3. Ged rid of (of start a fresh batch of) nuisance algae. I had some problems with my pumps clogging at a bad time to manage them and as a result had some algae build-up.

I am thinking of getting cycled rock from local reefers instead of "clean" LR from the LFS - but this could simply put me back in trouble if there are unwanted hitchhikers.

Please let me know your thoughts when you can. Thanks.

Archived