ReefCleaners.org

DIY led light help

moovinfast

So where is the cheapest place to order from? The only part I know where to order is the heatsink. Ordering from heatsink usa. I want to go with the Meanwell ELN-60-48D's. And where should I order the Leds and what ones? Cree XR-e (p4, q4, q5, r2)?

Good prices

evilc66 tested and approved.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know. Those are definitely the best prices I could find on the drivers for sure without doing a group buy. Have 3. Any ideas on the layout for the 39 leds?

20x20x15. You said before to go with at least 4 rows of eight but I want to add a few more leds since I just got 39. 26 white and 13 blue

X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X

.X.X.X.X.X.X.X

X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X

.X.X.X.X.X.X.X

X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X

That's 38 LEDs and a lot better front to back coverage. Getting the pattern right for a 2:1 white to blue mix will be a little tougher to blend well.

Just remembered there is a corner over flow so I think I can do 4 rows of 8 and 1 row of 7.

would this work ok? The xxx's are the overflow.

W.B.W.W.B.W.W.B.

.W.W.B.W.W.B.W.W

B.W.W.W.B.W.W.B.

.W.W.B.W.W.B.W.W

B.W.W.B.W.W.Bxxx

So 2 questions. Ive been reading its not good to run the RB leds at 1000ma. Right now I have 13 on the way and am going to be driving them with the Meanwell 60-48d. Does this mean I should get 13 more RB leds and run them in parallel? Also whats the easiest way to dim them?

With proper heatsinking, the RBs at 1000mA are fine.

Easiest way to dim the "D" is with a 10v DC power supply and a 5k pot. Many times the power supply isn't 10v output though with a small load. What will be most accurate will be to get a 12v power supply (more common than 10v), use an LM317 to set your max voltage to 10v, and use a pot to adjust the output voltage from 0-10v. You could always get a Reefkeeper Lite and an ALC module and have it all automated.

So I need to find 2 12v wall warts (do the amps matter?) and 2 of These and 2 5k pots. Or do I need 3 of everything since Im running 3 drivers. 2 white and one blue?

Amps doesn't matter. You will need one power supply, one voltage regulator, and however many pots you need to control however many groups of drivers (2 in your case based on what you just said).

Ordered a LM317 to go with a 12v power supply and (2) 5k pots. Heatsinks showed up today. Do I need to drill and tap or can I just use thermal paste?

Thermal paste is not an adhesive. You will need some way to fasten the LEDs down, whether it's by screw, thermal epoxy, or thermal adhesive pad.

The pots will be fine. You know you need additional resistors to set the output voltage of the LM317 right?

thermal glue seems to work, i've had mine glued for a few months now.. and still going strong.. i have removed 3-4 of them and all you need to do is keep wiggling a flat razorblade under them till they pop off.. i dont think it would be possible without a blade, it is strong..

thermal glue seems to work, i've had mine glued for a few months now.. and still going strong.. i have removed 3-4 of them and all you need to do is keep wiggling a flat razorblade under them till they pop off.. i dont think it would be possible without a blade, it is strong..

Could also try twisting the star, most epoxies have fairly poor shear strength.

• 2 weeks later...

So i have 2 of the 3 turned down. One doesn't stop when you turn it. Ideas? Also only 4-5 leds on each string is lighting up out of 13. Once plugged in they come on very dim. And when I hook up a 9v to the dimmer only the ones that are dim to start with work. Ive tested all the leds with 2 AA batteries and they all work. Now what?

If the driver isn't adjusting the current, it sounds like that faulty pot is to blame. Contact the place where you bought it for a replacement.

I should be getting a replacement driver soon. Also waiting for a new blue led as one of the ones I got was a dud. But have everything ready to go once they get here. Have the heatsink drilled and tapped. All the leds are installed and soldered.

Got it all wired and hung. Still waiting for a ballast, but have the blues up and running. Not sure if I going to build a canopy around it yet. I kinda like the industrial look. Ill take a real pic once i get the whites up and running.

post-47847-1259010976_thumb.jpg

Archived