Cultivated Reef

Dude, do I need that much light?

huachinango

Ok, IM looking to startup a 20 gallon reef tank and have been searching for the past 2 hours for similar setups and haven't found any. Here is what I have so far:

20 gallon acrylic

40 lbs LS

16 lbs LR

150 WATT heater :o

I was looking to get a 130 WATT PC to go over the 20 gallon, is that enough?

Please help, IM picking up the rest of the equipment this Saturday and I need to purchase the adequate lighting system for this.

Reefer_Buddha

really depends on your tank depth and how far you have to push light. I would say 175w halide would be fine for your tank. Look up a user named jdsabin he has clams and a 20g long tank.

Thanks Reefer for the info. IM actually running a 20 gallon high. So you recommend a 175 MH versus a 130 PC? That would probably cost me double the price though! By the way, he is running 2 175 MH! That's 350 WATTS, 17.5 watts per gallon <~~ that's a lot!

What do you plan on keeping? That is the key feature when addressing the question of light!

I've seen some outrageous setups with 250 WATT over 10 gallon tanks. Dude, does that mean I need 500 WATTS to have a succesful tank? Isn't that an overkill? My electric bill is high enough!
Yes, it's necessary.....if the life in the tank requires it! If that tank is heavy on SPS and clams like Crocea's and Maxima's than it is ideal. If that tank is full of zoos and shrooms than there is no real reason for that much light.

Ideally for clams a 150w HQI or a 175 mogul base would be great on a 20. Here are some pics of my old 20 w/ a 150w HQI and I had lots of clams and a few SPS. My clams were maxima and crocea mainly and require higher light but you could likely keep derasa and squamosa under pc light.

20reef01.jpg

20reef14.jpg

20reef13.jpg

Cameron

Thanks Physh1, if I add clams it would only be a max of two maximas and maybe very few sps if any. Im still debating whether to spend $130.00 on a 130 WATTer or double that for a 175 HQI. Are there any other alternatives to having to go this high in price?

Again, my plans are to keep zoos, shrooms, and maybe one or two clams..

Shucks, it looks like I checked the link to late, it's gone. Thanks for the heads up though, just like you mention in your signature "do it right the first time"! I think I might just do it right the first time and go with a higher wattage. Any other links were I can get good deals??

huachinango, if you hold on for a few minutes after I'm done making an order, I would be more than happy to give you some links..

What size tank again? And what do you plan on keeping?

-Nick

Thanks Nick, I have a 20 high acrylic tank. I want to be able to keep at most 2 maxima clams and anything else that would demand as much light as the clams.

I found this on Ebay and would like to know if it something that I should be looking for

Bluewave 1 ballast with 250 watt 10K Ushio bulb

af_3.JPG

Thanks again for the help. IM picking up the tank this coming Saturday.:D

Definatly would work, but if you just want to keep clams and lps, few sps's go with wither 150W HQI or 175MH..

I would definatly recommend the HQI, but if you can get 175MH definatly take it.

HTH,

Will help out more later..

-Nick

Thanks nick

Ok, so $240.00 Will get me a good enough lighting system for my 20. It looks like it comes with everything, does it need anything else? A little more than what I wanted to spend, but if this will do it I think IM gonna have to fork out the cash. IM totally clueless when it comes to electronic and magnetic ballast's. Any one better than the other?

Is this one any good?

MH

If you're talking about the IceCap, it's electronic and already wired. Plug-and-almost-play.. just need reflector.. Anywhere from $14-$28..

The second one comes with everything but bulb...

-Nick

Yup, definatly..

You will need reflector $14-$30 and it needs to be wired..

Good buy either way.. IceCap is the best, but if you don't want to dish it out go MH anyways regardless of ballast.. I want the best if I'm putting $75 clams and $200 teardrops and $25 arco frags.. get where I'm going?

-Nick

Thanks Nick, you got me all hyped up about this. I found this for sale "175 W Metal Halide metal hood and ballast. 10,000K bulb is 12 months old. Fixed 12'' wide, adjusts from 24'' to 48'' long. Email for any questions." for $80.00 .. How does it sound??

Sounds pretty good.. needs new bulb $75 and what kind of ballast? electronic or magnetic?

-Nick

No problem to help out, if you're willing to listen..

Found the link on the Pennysaver. I closed it out, but I got the number. IM gonna call tomorrow. Thanks much Nick for your help!! I got to bounce, but will continue this interesting chat tomorrow.

R

Archived