Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Seachem Reef salt users?

kwbragg

I was wondering how many of you use Seachem Reef Salt. I was also wondering if anyone tests Alk or dkH with a non Seachem test and if there are any tips for addition/subtraction of borate levels to get a better idea when to dose carbonate. Also, I understand that an alk test's numbers have to be adjusted for the borate for total alkalinity but does the same apply to a carbonate hardness dkH test and if so why?

Also, any overall impressions of your tank after using this salt for a couple of months?

Any help would be appreciated.

I was wondering how many of you use Seachem Reef Salt. I was also wondering if anyone tests Alk or dkH with a non Seachem test and if there are any tips for addition/subtraction of borate levels to get a better idea when to dose carbonate. Also, I understand that an alk test's numbers have to be adjusted for the borate for total alkalinity but does the same apply to a carbonate hardness dkH test and if so why?

Also, any overall impressions of your tank after using this salt for a couple of months?

Any help would be appreciated.

Seachem is also coming out with a new salt under their Aquavitro line. It's supposed to be some pro salt like DD H2Ocean Pro and Tropic Marin Pro.

The guaranteed analysis is on the main page of aquavitro and it looks pretty good.

http://www.aquavitro.com/

Mr. Thingdoer

I used it for about a year. It's the best salt I've come across. I just recently picked up a bucket of Neomarine, and I'm already thinking about selling it and going back to Seachem.

with regular waterchanges subtract 1 dkH otherwise you don't really have to worry about it per RHF.

OK. Thanks, that's what I wanted to know in regards to the testing. So just new mixed 24 hour aerated water subtract 1 dkH and monitor/dose as usual in tank at least until like WC 10-15 weeks away until most of the tanks volume has been integrated with the Seachem salt or does the subtraction conversion work then as well?

What kind of ca/alk/mag have you users of Seachem Reef been getting at 1.025?

BTW, I noticed a lot of buffers and 2 part additives have borate in it, but the reason I asked was because there seemed to be a big stink from some about the unnatural levels of borate in the Seachem salt....I like to research as much as I can but usually end up more confused because for all the rave reviews there are just as many bitter...which goes for all salts, supplements, skimmers...etc....not to mention information not applicable or specific for nano tanks and their needs.

Thanks all for their help and replies.

Seachem fixed most of their Borate issues enough for RHF to not be against them a few years ago. It's still higher than others, but not nearly as bad. RHF went on to post more about how if your tests are in the mid-high acceptable Alk range, not to worry about Borate too much. The RC thread is too long for me to go and find it though.

Numbers run near

SeaChem Marine Salt 500 10 1400

SeaChem Reef Salt 540 10 1450

both are at SG 1.0264 @ 25 C

Oh and you can use baking soda/baked baking soda for the alk portion of a 2 part.

Archived