ReefCleaners.org

Purigen?

TheChosenOne

Purigen Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be used?

• Yes
    • No

I have used purigen and a few other products to help clean up my water over the years. However over the past year or so I have headed towards a more natural route with great success. I basically run lr and ls and skim. I have cut way way back on feeding fish, and they still look nice and fat, and keep up on water changes. With that being said, you can save money, and have a successful setup with careful planning. Sorry if I didn't answer you question exactly but thought I'd throw out my though on it.

put up a "sometimes" choice. If you are just trying to cover up an underlying problem it is going to be never ending battle. been there done that. sometimes you just need a little help then thats cool.

put up a "sometimes" choice. If you are just trying to cover up an underlying problem it is going to be never ending battle. been there done that. sometimes you just need a little help then thats cool.

You're defiantly right about the cover up. I was thinking that it could act as a safety net? I could be wrong, but then again, that's why I made the post :)

I use it along with chemi-pure elite but I added the purigen recently when I had a huge cyano outbreak. The cyano is almost gone but I don't really know if that's because of the purigen or the fact that I changed my light cycle. I figure that for 10 bucks and you can bring it back to life after 6 months with a bleach bath it's not a bad product. One thing though that with the chemi-pure, purigen and chaeto I have never seen my nitrates get higher than 0 other than when the tank finished cycling and I feed my fish almost every day.

I also have the Chemipure Elite, Purigen and chateo combo, but am still religious with the water changes. I use it as a basic safety net but do not rely on it :huh:

...but am still religious with the water changes. I use it as a basic safety net but do not rely on it :huh:

Pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not wanting it to skip on any maintenance, just thought it might be a good idea as a safety net in case something crazy were to happen that the biological filtration couldn't handle.

I run both purigen and carbon in my mixed reef, mainly to minimize the effects of coral chem warfare. Water is always crystal clear, but or course, I also do regular partial water changes.

Archived