Cultivated Reef

Cycle time and more

Grub

Hi,

I've got a 6-gal tank that's been operating for 10 days. It's filled with 5lbs crushed coral and about 9lbs LR.

My amonia and nitrite are 0

My nitrate has been a steady 10

PH is 8.2

Specific gravity is 1.024

I'm starting to see lots of brown growth on the rock. Are these diatoms? Is my cycle ending?

I also added a green chromis, which will be my only fish) about two days ago.

Oh, I also have had two feather duster worms pop up in the last three days, and I just saw a bristleworm. The bristleworm scared the crap out of me. Everytime I get near the tank now, I half imagine some critter jumping on the glass trying to attack me (imagine Aliens).

Yes...it's likely a diatom bloom. I don't know how many hours your running your lights for but I prefer 4-5ish until the cycle is over to keep blooms under control. Is your cycle ending? Too hard to say...at 10 days it's not likely. Ideally we'd need to see tests over consecutive days to determine that. 10 days is really fast...test over then next few days and see what everything does.

Don't worry about the bristle worm. They are good as long as they don't get huge. I'd really hold off on adding anything until your sure it is cycled.

Cameron

Thanks Physh,

Yeah, I don't plan on adding anything for a while. I added a green chromis, and that's it. I'll watch him close and if ammonia gets high, I'll switch him to another tank. But the chromis seems to be very happy now.

I'm retrofitting 2x13w lights now, and will just let things grow on their own until after the new year.

Archived