inTank Media Baskets

Base rock? No? What type?

ryz

I was thinking of adding some base rock into my 20 gallon tank which is still cycling my Live Rock. What type of base rock should I add? I heard that granite would leech heavy metals into the water and concrete-gravel mix rock would leech silicates which are bad? What rock then, should I use? I have some sedimentary rocks unused, can I use them as base rock? What is the ideal type or base rock? Should I even be adding base rock? Or should I just go get more Live Rock?????

Please pardon my stupid questions as I am extremely new to this. What does a fifteen year old like me know haha. :blush:

Not that any of you would be interested, but...

I have 3 African rift valley lake cichlid tanks and 2 planted tanks and now am starting a 20 gallon nano reef. Anyone else here keeps cichlids?:D

My brother has a 55 gallon reef tank another 55 gallon planted tank.

No base rock is needed. In a 20 gallon tank, you should be able to afford live rock for everything. You probably need more live rock!

Don't worry about the so-and-so-many-pounds-per-gallon rules, because live rock varies a lot in density. One of my 10gal tanks has over 24 pounds of rock, and it's not crammed full, but it has one nice but dense 16 pound at rock at the base. Another grow-out tank has only 5 pounds of rubble, and it's also healthy. The point is, put in as much live rock as you want, not some magic number of pounds.

The ideal base rock, if you need it, is aragonite (also known as dead rock or fossilized coral.) It used to be easy to find, but at least in my area it seems to have gone out of fashion. Maybe this is because LR is more readily available than in the past.

Don't use any non-ocean rocks. Unless you have complete knowledge of their chemical composition, they may contain minerals that will leech into the saltwater, effect the pH, or be contaminated, etc.

Stick with rock that belongs in the reef environment. Other stuff may work, but why take the risk?

Does anyone have specific information on what non-reef rocks are/aren't cool to use?

Archived