Cultivated Reef

Need a test kit

Tinytank

So I have to admit I am violating some noob rules. I have had my BC 8 set up for two years and have never tested my water for anything. I have had reasonable success with weekly water changes of about two gallons and I use Petco real ocean water. I have never seen the benefit to mixing water with such a small system, is there something that separates salt mix from nsw?

More to the point. I have recently picked up a few small sps frags (montis) and really want to try managing my parameters better so I need a test kit. I will have to order it online because there is not a LFS within a two hour drive. Anyone have good suggestions for a basic kit.

Also I have always dosed iodine, strontium, and coral vite but never really been worried about it because I change the water every week.

Thanks for the advice guys

Petco real ocean water. I have never seen the benefit to mixing water with such a small system, is there something that separates salt mix from nsw?

Really. So you trust that that water is pure and constant salinity every time you change? Same trace elements every time? Have you compared the cost of that water vs making your own?

API

never dose without testing first. I have never dosed those elements ever. Two part solution and water changes.

I was advised these a when I set the system up and since I have a tiny tank still have them. Is API a test kit?

+1

How are you getting petco real ocean water if there isn't a LFS within a two hour drive?

I have a petco though I don't even consider that a LFS. I am originally from FL and know what an actual "fish store" is, I just don't think petco qualifies. Here in Auburn Al there is NOTHING decent unless I drive to Birmingham, and even then the stores are so-so.

Really. So you trust that that water is pure and constant salinity every time you change? Same trace elements every time? Have you compared the cost of that water vs making your own?

I personally doubt that the water is impure but I do test the salinity and adjust as necessary with distilled water. I doubt it is very uniform in trace element content but with weekly water changes I feel I get a decent amount of anything I need. The added cost of prebottled water has always seemed worth it as opposed to the trouble of mixing my own but if there are dramatic advantages to buying salt I would like to know and certainly am not opposed to trying it.

Thanks for all the responses, I admitted I knowingly take some shortcuts but am looking to change this and hopefully help my reefies thrive.

Dosing is subject to what you stock, not the size of the tank. Weekly water changes can cover most bases in a nano-reef aquarium. Dosing such elements without testing is like shooting in the dark, at one time you are going to hurt something.

If you think making your own water read over this

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1608392

It takes literally about 5 minutes of your time and insures you have constant results you can trust. Like anything there are more ways to do a hobby. Some do use the water you use but personally you are overpaying for inferior product.

Dead serious, change 20% per week and top off as needed. thanks for the link stevie, thats something ill try next time i do a wc and see if the corals look better.

+1 to not dosing the things you are/were dosing. Most reliable synthetic salt mixes have worked for the most delicate invertebrates and fish. Get the API saltwater master and reef master test kits. Drsfostersmith.com is one good source for almost all supplies.

What is your total livestock list? Are your montiporas plating or branching species?

They are scrolling species I believe, an orange and an idaho grape.

I have those montis, various zoas, frogspawn, shrooms, brain, galexea, gsp, blue cloves, a small damsel, peppermint, emerald(destroyed the little bit of GHA I had and now is bothering me by knocking everything over), bunch of nas snails, astreas and a few blue legs.

I have looked around on the site and it seems that there is no consensus as to a preferred salt presumably because they are all decent products. Ill pick up those testing kits and give my params a check and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice guys and gals I appreciate it.

Archived