ReefCleaners.org

Another LED Retro Current Orbit 20"

kidrobot

Nice attention to detail! I'm about to retrofit a 20" Orbit (arrives on Thursday) so this thread is timely. For my own edification, what is an "ALC Circuit"?

Anything you learned from this that you wish you did differently?

Where did you get your heatsink? Its size?

I'm hoping to achieve similar lighting to a MH 250W (14K). What would you guess yours to be (as a comparable)?

its a circuit for the ALC Controller so i could connect it to the meanwell drivers for the LED to be dimmable. the RKM-ALC is a Advance Light Controller from digitalaquatics it will control the dimming for my LED build.

what i would do again is connecting the Powerline from the UV driver together with the meanwell drivers, and also if you drilling the heatsink use alot of oil it will be easy to drill and tap also take your time dont rush it...i learned the hard way. as for the heatsink i got the 5.375" x 17" from www.heatsinkusa.com. my guess if you want the led to match the 250MH you would have to use the 40 degree optics. someone might clarify if i got this right :lol:

Nice attention to detail! I'm about to retrofit a 20" Orbit (arrives on Thursday) so this thread is timely. For my own edification, what is an "ALC Circuit"?

Anything you learned from this that you wish you did differently?

Where did you get your heatsink? Its size?

I'm hoping to achieve similar lighting to a MH 250W (14K). What would you guess yours to be (as a comparable)?

• 2 months later...

Very nice mod.

I'm glad that I found this thread because I'm considering a really similar retro to a 20" Sunpod that my friend gave me. It's one of the nicer alternatives to modding my stock hood... especially since the stock hood won't go with me to my next tank!

I have a couple questions if you don't mind, I know this thread is a bit older... maybe someone else can answer them.

Do you think there is any way to get the drivers completely inside the enclosure and use the original cord for the MH ballast to power them? Maybe by mounting the heatsink a bit lower within the enclosure so that there is room above it?

How dim can the royal blues go? I think I've read that they are too bright for "moonlight LED" duty, so I will probably include a separate set of them for that role.

Do you have anything separating the water from the wiring on the face of the heatsink? Glass? Any problems with corrosion or water splashing up?

Did you replace the fan, and what are your thoughts on including another fan on the opposite end of the enclosure? I think that could help, especially if there are drivers in there too.

Anything you'd do differently next time around? I have access to a machine shop and can fab pretty much any mounting pieces I need, so I'm trying to get creative with what I can fit into this 20" enclosure, and how I can squeeze it all in there.

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice mod.

I'm glad that I found this thread because I'm considering a really similar retro to a 20" Sunpod that my friend gave me. It's one of the nicer alternatives to modding my stock hood... especially since the stock hood won't go with me to my next tank!

I have a couple questions if you don't mind, I know this thread is a bit older... maybe someone else can answer them.

Do you think there is any way to get the drivers completely inside the enclosure and use the original cord for the MH ballast to power them? Maybe by mounting the heatsink a bit lower within the enclosure so that there is room above it?

How dim can the royal blues go? I think I've read that they are too bright for "moonlight LED" duty, so I will probably include a separate set of them for that role.

Do you have anything separating the water from the wiring on the face of the heatsink? Glass? Any problems with corrosion or water splashing up?

Did you replace the fan, and what are your thoughts on including another fan on the opposite end of the enclosure? I think that could help, especially if there are drivers in there too.

Anything you'd do differently next time around? I have access to a machine shop and can fab pretty much any mounting pieces I need, so I'm trying to get creative with what I can fit into this 20" enclosure, and how I can squeeze it all in there.

PMed

nice build, i like the mounting brackets, where did you pick em up?

i just found them laying around the house. you can try ordering at this website here

_L_Bracket.jpg

• 2 months later...
Any news on the ALC?

nope im still waiting for evil to make the circuit..right now im just using a 9v wall adapter to power up the meanwells...if i cant wait any longer i might just buy 2 meanwell 48D drivers so i can use the ALC lol...

• 2 weeks later...
nope im still waiting for evil to make the circuit..right now im just using a 9v wall adapter to power up the meanwells...if i cant wait any longer i might just buy 2 meanwell 48D drivers so i can use the ALC lol...

I am curious as this is similar to what I am planning. Why is an additional circuit required? If the meanwell requires 0-10V and that is the output of the ALC can't you just wire them directly?

• 1 year later...

Hi

Question How thick is the piece of acrylic you used for the splash guard, and how long and wide did you cut it?

What size screw did you use on the side of the heat sink to attach the L bracket.

Archived