Pod Your Reef

Cycling Live rock, Foul smelling water!

ryz

:( I have recently set up my saltwater tank and bought my 1st live rock on the second day. It was not cured so I removed any dead matter that was visible and let it run for another two days before I got 5 kg more of CURED Live rock(at least thats what the LFS claimed). I trusted the LFS as I thought it was quite an established one. I know there would be some die off from my live rock even if it is cured, but is it supposed to stink up my water? OMG! The day after, I took out my supposedly cured live rock and smelled them, they were stinking! what is happenning? Now my water is stinking and even 50% water changes do not seem to help the situation. I was thinking of getting ammonia remover. What should I do? I have a protein skimmer running. How can I improve the water quality in as little time as possible? PLease advice.

concerned newbie:*(

im just starting out, so i cant really advise what to do - but my live rock smells like the ocean and so far have not had any bad smell. All my rock is uncured - im thinking to remove some of the dead waste too. Was this a recomended step that you took???

Yes it is reccomeded that you remove any visible accessible dead matter so that they dun contribute to the ammonia build up in your tank that might take a while to clear. When your water starts smelling, the ammonia level is high.

By the way how big is your tank?

how much live rock do you have in it?

How long have you been having them in there cycling?

If your live rocks don't stink and there is little or no die off in your tank, I think it should be fine. Just remove any dead matter as soon as you see it.

By the way how big is your tank?

how much live rock do you have in it?

How long have you been having them in there cycling?

That's perfectly normal for uncured LR, If it really bothers you, you can do some water changes to reduce the odor, but the rock will take weeks to fully cure. Eventually the smell will go away.

just leave the rocks in there don't change the water the smell will go away in a few days and in about 4 weeks you will have cycled your tank and cured the LR after that it should smell like the ocean the bad smell is the amonia cycle is spiking it will be complete in about 12-14 days

lol crak. I have to cycle it for so long? I was told that the Life Rocks(most of them at least) were cured and I could use them directly in a display tank. SIGH~ oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait it off. I'm so anxious can't wait to add stuff into the tank but I must resist the temptaion SIGH~ (once again)

By the way I'm thinking of getting more live rocks, should I get them now or get them after the stench goes away. Would this ammonia spike cause any serious detriment to vertebrates(damsels in particular) because AI might need to transfer two of my brother's damsels into my cycling tank.

Concerned, anxious, apprehensive, hopeful Reefer

Archived