inTank Media Baskets

Thick White algae: what is it and help me make it go away

wieldymouse

I'm fairly new to nano-reefing and Orphicdragon recommended that I post here. I looked at the algae guide and surfed around the innertubes, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like what I have.

I have this white algae growing on one of my rocks in my pico. I've got a white leg and two blue leg hermits that have been munching on it, but they get tired of eating it and move on to something else. I don't have much in my tank right now, but I'd like to know what it is before I put any more livestock in it. It looks similar to the pink coralline that Orphic has in her tank. I've read that coralline can come in white and I've also read that non-white coralline can bleach. I don't know that my stock light could actually bleach anything, though, as it's a low-end light.

post-47289-1255649935_thumb.jpg

I've got white coraline in my tank. Well its white some times them kinda pale pink purple color. No worries. The rock looks great.

What stock light and kelvin are you using?

Are you introducing corline covered rock's or supplimenting anything for calcium?

how often and in what amount or you doing water changes?

Finnex 4gal stock light = 26W energy saving light

Tank JUST finished cycling last week, this stuff appeared about 3 days into cycle. Not supplementing anything. One water change thus far, but I do a weekly water change on Saturday so she will be up to two as of tomorrow.

-Mouse

Dictated but not read :P

Its probably just old dead coralline. Does it keep growing bigger? I had a couple pieces of LR that looked like that, they never really changed though, now they have pink coralline and other growth over top.

Well, my first thought was dead coralline, but the hermits eat chunks of it and it grows back. o.O Does it grow back bleached?

(How did I end up being a secretary?)

It hasn't migrated to any of the other rocks. I think there are red patches of coralline on the same rock, so I'm not sure why only some of it would bleach and not the rest of it.

(Thanks, Orph :))

Looks like bleched coraline algae

I have what looks exactly like that in my tank, I'm pretty sure bleached coraline is what you have there.

I have a couple areas of coralline in my picotope that are about that color. I had assumed it was just bleached until I was cleaning the AC70 a little bit and there were fresh new spots the same color so unless coralline can grow while bleached there is such a thing as white coralline.

Archived