Coral Vue Hydros

2 Part System or Dosing Apart

ReefYourself

Hey everyone,

I have not been dosing my tank with a 2-part system but rather Seachem Reef Carbonate and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium. I have established my consumption rate for both and been adding that much to my system daily.

Is this bad??? If it is, please let me know I will switch to a 2-part.

Ive been doing this because I had bought these 2 bottles and told myself might as well finish them.

burtbollinger

If it works it works....i guess youre testing and have everything dialed in? if so, i dont see how that could be bad....just different from what I do.

I love two-part dosing...look into the bulk reef supply two part starter kit....might be something to look into down the line

Yeah everything is dialed in. But the question I ask, is it actually balanced Ionically? If it isnt, then Im guessing the corals won't absorb it....?

I have not been dosing my tank with a 2-part system but rather Seachem Reef Carbonate and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium.

Maybe I'm a bit thick, but that sounds like a 2-part system to me. :huh:

I have established my consumption rate for both and been adding that much to my system daily.

"That much"? How much? You didn't list any figures.

But the question I ask, is it actually balanced Ionically?

Is this a marketing term you see on the label or website of some additive?

Fosi, you crack me up. I agree with a marketing term. Ioniclly balanced, first that I heard this.

How much of Ca+, ALK, and Mg+ does your tank use a day?

What are your current Ca+, Alk, and Mg+ levels now?

Well,

Basically all the ions in the water would be balance at the normal levels. So Ca+, Mg+, Stronium,, Boron, etc would be in perfect harmony.

Oops forgot Na+, K+

+1 to 2 part dosing being the same thing as dosing calcium and alkalinity apart (i.e. two parts). However, the one advantage of two part kits is that the manufacturer knows what's in each part when they formulate each part's composition and expects the two to be dosed together (or in some ratio). For the separate carbonate and calcium bottles you have, you should check to see if they recommend using it with the other component.

What are the "ingredients" in each bottle?

Really guys ive been doing lots of reading and a 2 part system is much better. It supplies alk andcalc in the right ratios (ionically balanced) where both lps and stoneys absorb it ( in those ratios)

Yeah, except that stony corals aren't the only thing consuming Ca and Alk, nor are they required to use it in said ratios.

Either way, a 2-part system is what I use and I am very happy with it.

Archived