inTank Media Baskets

WORKING DIY Koralia Controllable Driver

mabviper

I've been following this thread for a while now and since i don't see any new developments i started to think in another solution and i saw this pump that could be easier to control "Resun Wave Maker 15000". It's ugly but looks easy to control.

Toze

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the changes made to the new Koralia Evolution's, it's almost not worth persuing. It's still a fun project though for those with the pumps. Although, I'm not sure that the new pumps can be speed controlled through just a VFD.

And applying this to this pump? From the info I found in the web its a dc pump and the controller switches from 12, 18 and 24v. With a better controller this voltage changes could me made smoother and maybe this could be a poors man vortech.

Toze

No. The controllable Koralias are AC pumps controlled by a pwm pulse on an AC carrier. If they were DC, this thread wouldn't exist. The new pumps are AC, but have a better starting mechanism that alows them to be used on standard wavemakers.

• 2 weeks later...
macyankee86
No. The controllable Koralias are AC pumps controlled by a pwm pulse on an AC carrier. If they were DC, this thread wouldn't exist. The new pumps are AC, but have a better starting mechanism that alows them to be used on standard wavemakers.

Run an AC pump off 12V? :huh:

I figured that at 12V they were DC...

But what do I know, I have a mechanical degree! :D

Gordon

AC doesn't mean that it runs on 110v AC from the wall. AC can come in all sorts of voltage flovors just like DC.

I've been following this thread for a while now and since i don't see any new developments i started to think in another solution and i saw this pump that could be easier to control "Resun Wave Maker 15000". It's ugly but looks easy to control.

Toze

aaaaa.... what further development?! I poster a complete working schematic, algorithm details, for anyone interested I give for free the code (by e-mail). What else would you need?!

• 1 month later...
kelvinkmchoi
aaaaa.... what further development?! I poster a complete working schematic, algorithm details, for anyone interested I give for free the code (by e-mail). What else would you need?!

I am interesting for your design. Can you send to my email kelvinkmchoi@yahoo.com? Thanks.

I am interesting for your design. Can you send to my email kelvinkmchoi@yahoo.com? Thanks.

The schematic diagram and source code are posted on the previous page. Let me know what else you need.

kelvinkmchoi
The schematic diagram and source code are posted on the previous page. Let me know what else you need.

I want to know how to generate the table "sin0, sin1,sin2...sin16" in the source code. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
jasonpenzo

Fery

Could you tell me a little about the algorithm? I'm using a PIC16F886. I would like to try my luck on writing the code for this project. I'm not familar with atmel's chips.

Jason

• 1 month later...
I want to know how to generate the table "sin0, sin1,sin2...sin16" in the source code. Thanks.

Put them in the code (with "define byte" or something similar) and the use a look-up table mechanism to use them. Like in my code....

Fery

Could you tell me a little about the algorithm? I'm using a PIC16F886. I would like to try my luck on writing the code for this project. I'm not familar with atmel's chips.

Jason

Aaaa.... there is not much algorithm there.... The hardware PWM channel is doing almost everything. The program only checks the inputs and when they are changed it reprograms the PWM channel to generate the waveform... Not too much to say about it!

• 4 weeks later...
With the changes made to the new Koralia Evolution's, it's almost not worth persuing. It's still a fun project though for those with the pumps. Although, I'm not sure that the new pumps can be speed controlled through just a VFD.

Evil,

I'm sorry to go digging in the thread graveyard but I'm wondering a bit about playing around with these pumps.

Do you know how well these would do being run off of a relay? Going a bit further, could I potentially run them with a PWM driven FET?

Thanks a bunch and sorry if this information has been covered elsewhere. I've asked this in a separate thread but I'm finding more information that seems to disprove some of my earlier ideas.

PWM is a fail and a relay will cause a lot of mechanical wear.

If you look back there is a special microcontroller motor driver,

you could build it from scratch since the dev kits are rather expensive then use the guys example code.

I've read through the whole thread and I have a thorough understanding of how to drive the old Koralia motors (I'm an EE) but I would rather go with something simpler (I have tons of SSRs around and evolutions are cheaper than the controlllables).

Evil made it seem as though the new pumps can withstand more mechanical abuse, as that's basically what rapid on/off patterns are.

Thanks a bunch!

The new pumps were designed to be used with a wavemaker. There is still a small click on startup, but it's far less abusive than it was with the original Koralias. I think pwm will be a very bad idea with this setup. All it would do it chatter.

Archived