ReefCleaners.org

Gregs Puny Pico

gregzbobo

so I assume this tank has been taken down?

Nope, still running, just kinda in a "holding" pattern for now. In the midst of fighting off a cyano outbreak, went lightless a couple days, then for the last several days have cut the display photoperiod in half, plus removed as much as I could manually. Has helped tons, I think it's mostly gone now. Still no fish, just a peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control and something to shine a flashlight at with the lights off, he doesn't come out much except for the times I put a little food in the tank.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sounds like it needs some tlc

Yep, the cyano is for the most part gone, and the coralline is bouncing back, plus the GSP I have in it is showing better extension than when the tank was being smothered. Having a bubble algae outbreak, might have to pull the rock its starting to infest and remove bubbles and wash it in clean saltwater, just glad its one of the top flat rocks with just gravity holding it in place. Its coming around again, slow but sure. Patience is key, I'm not going to do anything radical for a while.

I have been wanting to retro the light fixture with LEDs, but cash is always a little tight, as is time, so right now that project is on hold. I have a JBJ 28Quad arriving soon anyways, and that project will take some cashflow also.

No fish in the pico still, so bioload is practically nil just the peppermint and CUC, and the chaeto is doing its job pretty well again, so I'm gonna let it ride and keep up on maintenance as usual.

Just an FYI from those using LFS water, I bought 2 5g jugs of DI water at a LFS yesterday and got it home and tested it with my TDS meter, got a reading of 345. Before you commit to full jugs, get a single gallon and test it at home, or see if they would let you test it at the store, I spent 7.50 on what amounted to tapwater. I was hoping it'd be close to or right at 0 so I could save on hauling in 1g jugs of distilled, but I'll have to do that again for a while till I get an RO/DI. Thats the next item I'm getting before I spend cash on anything else. Spectrapure, here I come.

Archived