Top Shelf Aquatics

Help w/Cooling a 5 gallon

reefsrule

My tank's temp has been in the 86 to 90 range and after doing a search I think this is too high. The tank is a 5 gallon high with 2x13 pc's although I'm putting in another 9 watt. I never put I heater in the tank yet it still over heats. I don't think that I can fit a fan in the hood and it would be a fire hazard. I also don't know if the micro chiller would fit on the tank top because the hood covers the top (although there's an opening in the back)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=CW1131

Link doesn't work. Is there a flap in the hood that you can leave open? If not is there any way you can drill some vent holes possibly along the sides of the hood, maybe 3/4" holes? That's the method of cooling I used in my Eclipse 6 gallon. Temp stayed at a constant 82 after I began leaving the flap open and adding a few vents to let the heat escape.

I would add a fan to the back or top to suck out the hot air and drill a hole or holes

you can get 12v power supply from radio shack and a cheep fan from comp usa for around $40 for both or you can get fancy and add 2 small fans one pusher and one puller

Thanx for the responses. There is a flap on the back of the hood that is always open; I think I'm going to put a fan there. Any special type u would reccomend?

I got insane evaporation when I let my fan blow on the water. Now it's just blowing on my lights, which are separated from the water by acrylic. Temp is 82-83 and evaporation is much more reasonable.

You can use just about any computer fan with good results. Such fans are 12v but you can drive them at 7.5-9v to make them quieter. I got the AC adapter for my fan from a secondhand/thrift store, $2 yeah baby. You can also get a clip-on fan from Wal-Mart et al that just plugs directly into the wall, but those are pretty big.

I recommend blowing cool air in rather than sucking hot air out. Makes the fan last longer.

since you said flap I am guessing the area is small you should measure first but I am willing to bet a CPU fan would work great they are about 2 inch diameter but will make a whirl noise at 12v so either get 2 and wire in line or try get an adj ac adapter to tune down the fan. i never thought but the thrift store may have a value on the ac adapter

Archived