inTank Media Baskets

live rock question

agoerl

i aim for at least 50% visual coverage when looking at the tank from the front. aquascape is the most important issue (visually) for me, even over the substrate, equipment, inhabitants, and lighting. the aquascape really should determine the rest. (lighting is still the most important overall factor tho imo)

volume is actually a better method of calculating imo. weight calculation is a holdover from economically stocking the larger tanks (kinda like Watts-Per-Gallon), in larger tanks where 5#~15# of difference doesn't usually matter as much. however, for our smallish tanks that small difference can end up jutting out of the water.

harb's got a very good point and since everyone still uses weight to sell the rock you have to figure out approx. how much of which type to use. you can roughly use caja's numbers for fiji and marshall (good typical types). i'm not a branching-rock type of guy tho. i'd suggest underbuying a little and then cherry pick a couple from a good lfs to top it off or make the perfect look. hth

Archived